May 17, 2024, 07:58:17 AM

Author Topic: Unreleased STP with Chester  (Read 4622 times)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Unreleased STP with Chester
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »
I'm waiting for them to do a memorial video for Chester like what they did for Scott. Perhaps the making of "Tomorrow" would be a good choice.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 11:39:58 PM »
test

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 01:07:58 AM »
so has the question been asked of the band yet about some of the content on this album possibly being stuff they had prepared with chester?

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 04:58:41 AM »
so has the question been asked of the band yet about some of the content on this album possibly being stuff they had prepared with chester?
It would be a interesting question... I'd like to see the look on Dean's face if it were being filmed.
Out of all those tracks, I'd put money on at least one or two of them being "worked" on with a previous singer... not trying to be a smart ass saying that, but the vibe from a few tracks hit my curiosity meter.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 03:37:25 PM »

Someone did ask Robert that question.
I believe his response was that any ideas with Chester were in the very early stages. I don't remember the exact quote but he said that some of the songs on this new album were ideas that were being worked on prior to Chester leaving the band and he made it sound like no final recordings were really done with Chester on vocals...if I remember correctly.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »
LPAssociationDerek asked Robert the question (at my request, actually) in this interview here:

https://www.altwire.net/2018/03/15/altwire-interview-robert-deleo-of-stone-temple-pilots/

AW: You worked on and recorded several songs with Chester in 2015. Were any of those songs re-purposed for the new album with Jeff?
Robert DeLeo: There were, but they were kind of ideas and they didn’t really get too far. Working on a new record with Chester was kind of a notion and it didn’t really go too far before he said he could no longer do STP. We got together and played some ideas and that was about it. So these ideas were sitting there for a couple of years.

Interesting comments, considering how much he was tweeting about recording in the studio back then. But it does seem to mean that the material they were working on then made the album.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:15:50 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 10:03:33 PM »
LPAssociationDerek asked Robert the question (at my request, actually) in this interview here:

https://www.altwire.net/2018/03/15/altwire-interview-robert-deleo-of-stone-temple-pilots/

AW: You worked on and recorded several songs with Chester in 2015. Were any of those songs re-purposed for the new album with Jeff?
Robert DeLeo: There were, but they were kind of ideas and they didn’t really get too far. Working on a new record with Chester was kind of a notion and it didn’t really go too far before he said he could no longer do STP. We got together and played some ideas and that was about it. So these ideas were sitting there for a couple of years.

Interesting comments, considering how much he was tweeting about recording in the studio back then. But it does seem to mean that the material they were working on then made the album.
It's honestly a weird situation all around. Cause you take Chester's comments (when I interviewed him) in 2015 and he said this (which seemed like they had full songs done):

AW: The new music you’re talking about…I know it’s pretty early now, but how do you feel the style of the record compares to High Rise? Is it sounding similar, or do you feel it’s sounding a lot different?
CB: I think it’s a lot different. I really don’t like talking about music that people aren’t hearing because it’s hard to describe what the music sounds like, but it’s super energetic. The riffs are really cool and the playing has been really insane. So, I think there’s going to be a lot of our STP fans out there that are super happy. Every guitar player in the world is going to want to learn how to play these riffs, whether it’s guitar or bass. Eric has done amazing too. Really it’s now coming down to making great melodies and coming up with some good lyrics.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 03:45:50 AM »
^^^yeah if I didn't know any better (and I don't...) Kinda sounds like Chester was referring to several types of songs. But then again I guess we could all twist and steam roll his quote any way we want...

LPAssociationDerek

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 12:32:58 PM »
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle of both statements. STP2018 had a lot of energetic rock songs. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of those were the ideas that Chester and the boys were tossing around.