May 18, 2024, 06:40:32 PM

Author Topic: New Filter single ‘Thoughts and Prayers’ out now. New album ‘Murica’ coming soon  (Read 2628 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Richard Patrick and Filter have returned with new music, their first since 2016. This is a song he worked on last year with Brian Liesegang who he made the first album ‘Short Bus’ with in 1995. They reunited briefly and wrote and recorded 3 songs together apparently, all of which are set to appear on the upcoming album ‘Murica’ out later this year.

What do you guys thinks of this? I dig it, I mean lyrically it’s very relevant right now. Riff is nice and crunchy. Richard’s voice has changed quite a bit with age though and I fear the dream of an Army of Anyone reunion album has definitely passed. I just hope the whole album isn’t politically themed as I enjoy Filter’s more personal songs too.

Loudwire article for video premier:
https://loudwire.com/filter-thoughts-prayers-video/

Direct link to video:
https://youtu.be/aiGma9q_Z1U
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:16:20 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
I dig the music composition but not sure about the semi-mellowness of his vocals. I'm sure he had reason or like you said w/ age it's hard to match the strength of vocals. Heavy sound, very lit w/ emotions.
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I don't see how his vocals are 'mellower' here than Hey Man, Nice Shot. Same deal, spoken word verses and screamed chorus.

What do you guys thinks of this? I dig it, I mean lyrically it’s very relevant right now. Riff is nice and crunchy. Richard’s voice has changed quite a bit with age though and I fear the dream of an Army of Anyone reunion album has definitely passed. I just hope the whole album isn’t politically themed as I enjoy Filter’s more personal songs too.

I think Richard's voice is in way better shape than Scott's was in the reunion. There is absolutely no reason Richard couldn't do another AoA album, albeit with maybe less strenuous vocals. That said, I've given up hope on an AoA reunions simply because I think it would have happened by now if it was going to. They'e had so many opportunities with all of STP's downtime this last decade, I don't see them knocking on Richard's door in the near future
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 11:36:23 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I don't see how his vocals are 'mellower' than here than Hey Man, Nice Shot. Same deal, spoken verse verses and screamed chorus.

I think Richard's voice is in way better shape than Scott's was in the reunion. There is absolutely no reason Richard couldn't do another AoA album, albeit with maybe less strenuous vocals. That said, I've given up hope on an AoA reunions simply because I think it would have happened by now if it was going to. They'e had so many opportunities with all of STP's downtime this last decade, I don't see them knocking on Richard's door in the near future

Hmmm not sure if I’d agree with that (regarding reunion era Scott). I’m a big fan of Filter and Rich knocked it out of the park with AOA too but if you watch any live performance from the last 3 years or so on YouTube you will hear Rich struggling and straining to hit pretty much any of the notes. He can still handle the screaming/shouting parts reasonably well but clearly struggles singing live these days, I’d say probably more so than Scott did in 2008-2010 at least. One of my favourite Filter songs is ‘Miss Blue’ and they finally performed it live on the Title of Record anniversary tour, I found a video on YouTube and musically it sounded great but Rich just struggled with it so much, the band had to help him out with the vocals :(
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 11:42:31 PM by CagedTiger »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I also hope Rich is trolling with that ‘Come Take My Guns’ song linked in this article (the Instagram video at the bottom):

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/filter-to-release-new-song-thoughts-and-prayers-this-thursday/

That sounds like the most repetitive boring song I’ve ever heard but it seems as though that’s a finished product and will be on the new album.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
I guess I should have said, the intro was pretty heavy sounding then he came in w/ the vocals and threw me off. I expected a heavy vocal so why I pegged it semi-mellow.
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Richard has just confirmed on an Instagram Q&A that a new Army of Anyone song called ‘Summer Child’ is being worked on. He said he has sent the track to Ray Luzier who currently has it and then he’s going to get Robert & Dean to play on it.
It sounds like it’s just a one off track though since he played a few clips from new Filter songs and that seems to be his real focus. Perhaps the Army of Anyone collaboration song will also end up on the new Filter record as a special track? Still, it’s great news.

ComicJohnPowers

• Co-Pilot
  • http://www.twitter.com/comicjohnpowers
    • View Profile
    • Creative Professional John Powers
That's fantastic! I have been tweeting at the whole AoA band for years... hopefully they woke up one day and realized how much people appreciated that lineup. (even told Luzier that he gave me a drumgasm... that solo on the outro of Goodbye is just sick!)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Richard has just confirmed on an Instagram Q&A that a new Army of Anyone song called ‘Summer Child’ is being worked on. He said he has sent the track to Ray Luzier who currently has it and then he’s going to get Robert & Dean to play on it.
It sounds like it’s just a one off track though since he played a few clips from new Filter songs and that seems to be his real focus. Perhaps the Army of Anyone collaboration song will also end up on the new Filter record as a special track? Still, it’s great news.

I mean, that's cool and all, but the best AoA songs, in my opinion of course, were the ones that had the Deleo songwriting fingerprint all over them. So if Richard is writing a tune simply for the others to play on, I'll take it from the perspective of reopening that door, and hopefully get more.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

I mean, that's cool and all, but the best AoA songs, in my opinion of course, were the ones that had the Deleo songwriting fingerprint all over them. So if Richard is writing a tune simply for the others to play on, I'll take it from the perspective of reopening that door, and hopefully get more.

I sure hope it leads to more, a lot of us were asking him AOA related questions on the live q&a so he knows we all loved the project. It sounded more like a one off favour sort of thing though, he knows they’re tied up with STP at the moment. He said he keeps in touch with them though so you never know, maybe it could lead to something more.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Honestly Father Figure is one of my favorite songs off the album, so I'm more than Ok with Rick writing it. I really hope it turns into more than just one song, or even if they can't tour it, I'd love to see another AoA album.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

I sure hope it leads to more, a lot of us were asking him AOA related questions on the live q&a so he knows we all loved the project. It sounded more like a one off favour sort of thing though, he knows they’re tied up with STP at the moment. He said he keeps in touch with them though so you never know, maybe it could lead to something more.

Yeah, and let me rephrase - any AoA is better than no AoA, so I welcome it, undoubtedly.

In fact, I've always felt that a good portion of songs from Anthems For The Damned had an AoA vibe to them - stylistically and thought that maybe Richard's time with the Deleos rubbed off on the album that followed.

I'll keep an eye out for this.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

In fact, I've always felt that a good portion of songs from Anthems For The Damned had an AoA vibe to them - stylistically and thought that maybe Richard's time with the Deleos rubbed off on the album that followed.

This. 100%.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

This. 100%.

Yes I’d agree with that, although that album was more politically themed lyrically it did have a similar musical style, especially on songs like ‘Lie After Lie’.
I think Anthems was the last Filter album that I thoroughly enjoyed. I’ve liked a few songs on every album they’ve done since but I think there’s been a lot of filler on the last few.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Love the song.

Not crazy about the video. I think it would have been a lot better with only the riot footage, not the nuclear explosions and bloody Richard. A bit on-the-nose for my taste.

Edit: Just read the new AoA song comment -- yes please! If the DeLeos can keep STP 3.0 going and do some AoA on the side now and then, I will be happy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:45:21 PM by EyesOfDisarray »