May 16, 2024, 02:24:17 PM

Author Topic: When did Scott blow his voice out?  (Read 2116 times)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
When did Scott blow his voice out?
« on: June 17, 2020, 03:17:40 AM »
I'll give you that it was 9 years apart, but if you listen to SLDD and ST, there's times when you would think it was 2 different people singing. I noticed Scott's voice was far more coarse from the broadcast of the reunion in the Houdini Mansion and only got worse until he died. Did he blow out his voice in VR and it never came back? 
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: When did Scott blow his voice out?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
I've always felt that somewhere near the tail end of VR and the reunion of STP is when things shifted for the worse and never recovered. I think Scott was in a bad place in the late VR days and then he jumped straight into the huge STP reunion tour. I remember the first time I saw the mugshot shortly before the main reunion tour was to begin and remember being a little shocked at the transformation in his appearance in the short period of time since the Houdini show.

My view is that his voice, as well as himself, needed a break after the VR breakup tour, and that never happened. I think it's very possible we could've had an entirely different reunion if he was able to take a breather, recover, and get the help he needed at that time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 01:03:26 PM by stontemplpilot »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 02:50:46 PM »
I'm not sure he ever did permanent damage to his vocal chords, if that's what you mean.

I think he rendered himself incapable of performing due to not looking after himself and not exercising his voice properly, but that's not to say it was an irreversible situation.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 02:59:14 PM »
Over the years, his voice got weaker and more nasally. I'd attribute that to the long-term nasal septum damage of substances. I'm sure snorting took its toll and perhaps any cocaine-drip that occurred also contributed.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »
To add to my point above, a song that I really like and wish had a better sounding Scott is "Circles".
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 06:40:39 PM »
Wasn't there an article around the time of the reunion when a doctor told him to rest his voice?

Weird you guys bring up "Circles" since I was thinking about it when I woke up this morning but in the context that it was the last song on the album and his need to runaway from it all. It is hard to listen to cuz it does sound off.
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 03:17:54 AM »
I remember when I heard ‘Contraband’ for the first time when it came out, thinking his voice sounded a lot rougher than it did previously on SLDD. A song like ‘Fall To Pieces’ is a perfect example of this.
The thing with Scott though was that he was also a vocal chameleon and sounded different on pretty much every album he put out. So I’m thinking maybe for a new hard rock band like VR maybe he wanted to have a bit of a rougher sound to his vocals?? The only part from that album where you hear him do a clean high sounding vocal is the middle part of ‘Loving The Alien’... “I never noticed... How lovely were the aliens”... That’s the kind of voice that was all over SLDD though on the slower stuff.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 08:27:23 AM »
I would say it was a deliberate choice with VR. He was more or less clean for a while then, and probably put a lot of practice and effort into that project at first.

His voice was amazing when I saw him at the end of the original STP run, I don't see how he would have damaged it between that and VR.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 08:18:34 PM »
This is a random thing I haven't been able to shake, but anytime I listen to Blaster, Art of Anarchy or the last STP record, I just get sad. I have a hard time listening to late stage Scott. I'll listen to it here and there but it always gives me this natural weird response where I think about how he died and how awful it is he didn't get help. I don't know what it is, whenever the music comes on my shuffles it just hits me he's dead and how sad things ended. I can't shake the feeling, it's been like that for years. I figured eventually I'd get over it but it hasn't happened yet. It took me a while to be ok listening to Tiny Music/Purple/4/SLDD (I don't revisit Core that much cause it's not as textured as the other two). Have any of you had this too?

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 01:35:30 AM »
This is a random thing I haven't been able to shake, but anytime I listen to Blaster, Art of Anarchy or the last STP record, I just get sad. I have a hard time listening to late stage Scott. I'll listen to it here and there but it always gives me this natural weird response where I think about how he died and how awful it is he didn't get help. I don't know what it is, whenever the music comes on my shuffles it just hits me he's dead and how sad things ended. I can't shake the feeling, it's been like that for years. I figured eventually I'd get over it but it hasn't happened yet. It took me a while to be ok listening to Tiny Music/Purple/4/SLDD (I don't revisit Core that much cause it's not as textured as the other two). Have any of you had this too?

I get that about Blaster specifically.  I basically started a new life in 2015.  Moved to a new town, started a new job, and was in a fairly new relationship.  When Blaster came out, it instantly became almost a daily listen.  I still can’t think of those times without thinking of that album.

Once Scott died, so did my love for that record.  It took two or three years before I could listen to it at all, and to this day, it’s irrevocably changed.
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 05:15:34 AM »

I get that about Blaster specifically.  I basically started a new life in 2015.  Moved to a new town, started a new job, and was in a fairly new relationship.  When Blaster came out, it instantly became almost a daily listen.  I still can’t think of those times without thinking of that album.

Once Scott died, so did my love for that record.  It took two or three years before I could listen to it at all, and to this day, it’s irrevocably changed.

I feel you on that man. I was in a pretty bad place in 2015 with my mental health. The ‘Blaster’ record was one of the only things I was looking forward to and when it dropped I played the hell out of it, pretty much daily. It really reminds me of summer ‘15 though, ‘Beach pop’ playing in the car while I was actually on the way to the beach. I liked the record when it came out but definitely grew to appreciate it more when Scott passed only a few months later. I listened to it yesterday and found myself singing along to literally every song, he still knew how to craft some catchy melodies even if his voice wasn’t a patch on what it was. When I listen to it now it just makes me wish so much more that there was a follow up to it and that things didn’t end the way they did :(
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »

I honestly couldn't listen to Art of Anarchy or Blaster when they first came out because it was just too depressing to listen to how far Scott fell. Then when he died that just compounded it. I've listened to Blaster maybe once all the way through after his passing, and it just made me sad.

The Peace record is kind of a mixed bag for me. In the grand scheme it really shows the start of Scott's descent and eventual death, and obviously it was sort of a let down in that it was a big missed opportunity for STP to reinvigorate their careers... So when I think of the album, I tend to get bummed out.

But at the same time I have some wonderful memories of when that first came out. I had that album in my car for a whole summer and a lot of important stuff happened that year. I just listened to the whole album possibly for the first time since Scott died, and I couldn't help but find myself singing along to every song. I guess there's some part of me that album really connects with, and I really only know it when I'm listening to it.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 08:46:46 AM »

Man, do I know what you mean. Oddly enough, I put Blaster on during my commute into work today. Is it me or does Scott's voice sound stronger on Blaster than ST 2010? Maybe Scott just cared more about his solo work than STP.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 09:27:32 PM »
Oddly enough, I put Blaster on during my commute into work today. Is it me or does Scott's voice sound stronger on Blaster than ST 2010? Maybe Scott just cared more about his solo work than STP.

I don't know that his voice sounded any stronger, but he certainly seemed to put more effort into the vocal takes for Blaster than he did for S/T. Also, I think the vocal production was much stronger for Blaster than S/T.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 06:10:05 AM »
Oddly enough, I put Blaster on during my commute into work today. Is it me or does Scott's voice sound stronger on Blaster than ST 2010? Maybe Scott just cared more about his solo work than STP.

I don't know that his voice sounded any stronger, but he certainly seemed to put more effort into the vocal takes for Blaster than he did for S/T. Also, I think the vocal production was much stronger for Blaster than S/T.

The overall production of Blaster is absolutely terrible. Particularly the vocal production.. but hey, that's my opinion.

I think S/T has much better production and it's more coherent and cohesive album, and that's despite some weird production choices like the 'crystals' sound in take a load off, for example.

And back to the original topic, I believe Scott blew his voice during the VR era. By the time of Libertad you could already hear Scott's voice becoming more raspy in shows. That one show in germany is a good example of how bad it was getting. That being said, there is also that show in dc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBC0dj-pMI&t=154s and that's a good example of how good it worked for him when he wasn't fully blown out.
Seems like you left me when you broke down