May 16, 2024, 03:33:13 PM

Author Topic: Purple 20th Anniversary  (Read 9030 times)

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Purple 20th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 05:55:34 AM »
This band is so dysfunctional they couldn't even agree on celebrating Core. Purple?  The original four will never share a stage together ever again. I predict one of the Deleos or maybe both bite the dust. Then maybe Kretzel bangs out STT one night when Scott's passing through town.

What do you care? You'd complain no matter what happened. Even if the original 4 got back together and released their best album yet, you'd find something to piss and moan about. I guess that's probably a good thing for you, though. At least all your whining, pissing and moaning lets people know you exist.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:57:13 AM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »
I'm not sure their former label would put much effort into such a release without the original band being able to promote it.

New lead singers have never stopped labels from re-releasing albums. If Atlantic saw money in a re-issue, they'd release it regardless of the band's current status. Remember, the label doesn't get money from them touring, just from album sales.

However, the talk of record labels brings up a very good point. STP is independent now. Them no longer being signed to Atlantic could very well have something to do with the lack of a reissue.

Atlantic were prepared to license MusicOnVinyl to rerelease the first 3 albums on coloured vinyl, so who knows perhaps they would license it out so the band could get a reissue done elsewhere if they don't see a big enough potential profit to do it themselves.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »

I didn't think that Stereogum article was all that. Read more like someone who know a good amount, but tried to write as if they knew more than they actually did. Just one example: even if you weren't sure that Vasoline's main riff was a series of hammer-ons, which it isn't, you could look at the video embedded in the page and realize Dean picks each note. Another: Sex Type Thing isn't despicably rapey. It's anti-rape.

The writing wasn't bad, but I think I could have written a better article about Purple.

I don't care too much about the lack of a Purple reissue, I doubt there's much bonus stuff there.  It just would have been nice to at least see the band maybe share some rare stuff to commemorate the occasion.

Core is something that would have been worth a reissue had they included Unplugged on DVD/CD and the Mighty Joe Young demos.  Without those though I wouldn't have bought it.  The only reissue I've ever bought was Pearl Jam's since it included their Unplugged session and unreleased tracks/demos.

There are literally no extra songs from the Purple sessions, that's true. But they've had an entire pro-shot concert from that era, already mixed by Brendan O'Brien, just sitting in their closet for the last 20 years. With the current theme bands are taking of releasing old shows with reissues, I had hoped just a tiny bit that they would think about releasing that concert along side a remaster of Purple.

I remember reading probably in the No. 4 era that the guys said they never have b-sides. The songs they work on end up on the album.

But then later it came out that most of the music for Hollywood Bitch came from the Purple era. Dare if You Dare was from the Talk Show era, which means it was part of the batch of songs written in the Tiny Music era. Saturdays became Glide.

So I think there actually ARE things they could release. Not to mention they could release stuff that the four guys played on in the Mighty Joe Young days. They could include MTV Unplugged audio in the quality that Crackerman and Andy Warhol were released on the Vasoline single. They have footage.

Plus, Soundgarden released a lot of demo and early versions of songs from Superunknown, as well as rehearsals. I would love that stuff, and I am sure it all exists.

They obviously have lots of home video footage of the Tiny Music sessions, as well as the SLDD sessions. I'd bet there is some for Purple and Core too, as we saw on the Thank You DVD.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
May have something cool coming up for my site regarding Purple, we'll see how it goes though.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 11:20:18 PM »
I'd rather just see a DVD release.  I don't think any of that will happen though until the 60 year old everybody's got grey hair STP reunion.

I just don't know if there's a market for a 20 year old STP concert being released on it's own. I'd love to just go out and by a DVD (or better yet, a Blu-Ray) of it, but I honestly think the only chance we had of it ever being released was in conjunction with a Purple reissue.

May have something cool coming up for my site regarding Purple, we'll see how it goes though.

Looking forward to it.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:21 PM »
So I think there actually ARE things they could release. Not to mention they could release stuff that the four guys played on in the Mighty Joe Young days. They could include MTV Unplugged audio in the quality that Crackerman and Andy Warhol were released on the Vasoline single. They have footage.

Plus, Soundgarden released a lot of demo and early versions of songs from Superunknown, as well as rehearsals. I would love that stuff, and I am sure it all exists.

They obviously have lots of home video footage of the Tiny Music sessions, as well as the SLDD sessions. I'd bet there is some for Purple and Core too, as we saw on the Thank You DVD.

Doubtful. There are no outakes from the Purple sessions. The band recorded exactly eleven songs. Brendan O'Brien kept asking them to come up with a 12th, that's why "My Second Album" was added as joke.

As far as demoes, let's not forget STP's recording process. With very rare exception, Scott would write the melody and the lyrics after the instrumentals were being laid down in studio. Doubtless there are demo versions of the songs from Purple, as well as some different early song ideas from that era, but they are very likely rough instrumentals with no lyrics or melody.

There are, however, a couple b-sides... But those were both taken from MTV Unplugged.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 12:23:04 AM »
Robert.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 02:25:37 AM »
Robert.

No, he didn't respond to STP's management.  It would be Scott.  I won't believe it though until I'm actually on the phone talking to him, I've learned not to get my hopes up!  His management seemed into doing it though so we'll see!

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 02:52:20 AM »
Robert.

No, he didn't respond to STP's management.  It would be Scott.  I won't believe it though until I'm actually on the phone talking to him, I've learned not to get my hopes up!  His management seemed into doing it though so we'll see!
My dick just got hard for you. No homo. hehehe. Hope it works out. It seems camp Weiland is on a positive and friendly course. I like this. Did they give any sort of possible time frame on when it might happen?

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 03:19:29 AM »
Robert.

Awesome. Hope this happens for you. Also hope he tosses out a little more info on the new album.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2014, 03:39:03 AM »
Robert.

Awesome. Hope this happens for you. Also hope he tosses out a little more info on the new album.
All of that ^. I definitely hope he comes through and it has seemed like he's in a better place for something like that. Very cool.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 03:50:32 AM »
Scott's tour kicks off next month, so I'd assume it'd be sometime in the next few weeks, but they definitely seemed interested.  Not going to count my chickens until they hatch though, as we all know with Scott!  So like I said I'll believe it when I'm talking to him.

The set up would be Purple track by track then I'd ask some questions about the new album.  I'd also try to let him know that fans have been really happy with the shows this year compared to last year, and that people have liked hearing new material live.  I wouldn't pry too deep about the STP drama because we already know a lot about it and both of their stances, and any addiction related talk I'm sure would get me hung up on.  I'll let Howard Stern get to the bottom of that one.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 04:43:28 AM »
Scott's tour kicks off next month, so I'd assume it'd be sometime in the next few weeks, but they definitely seemed interested.  Not going to count my chickens until they hatch though, as we all know with Scott!  So like I said I'll believe it when I'm talking to him.

The set up would be Purple track by track then I'd ask some questions about the new album.  I'd also try to let him know that fans have been really happy with the shows this year compared to last year, and that people have liked hearing new material live.  I wouldn't pry too deep about the STP drama because we already know a lot about it and both of their stances, and any addiction related talk I'm sure would get me hung up on.  I'll let Howard Stern get to the bottom of that one.

so are you gonna say all the stuff to him directly that you have been saying online? you know making fun of everything he does whether it be his band name or an off performance? or are you just gonna kiss his ass the whole time? im guessing you'll just kiss his ass.

WearingMyPeacoat9

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 04:45:18 AM »
Yeah I think you're right Brett, it's best to keep things on the positive and not beat a dead horse. 

One thing you've done in the past that I've always enjoyed (and encourage you keep to doing) is ask questions that the average reporter wouldn't ask (or even think to ask)... questions for the die-hards.  For instance with Dean or Robert you asked about the 1994 version of "Only Dying", or the Shangri-La Dee Da doc etc, and I thought that was cool.  Maybe if it ties into the Purple questions you could ask about those... or perhaps the 1994 version of "Hollywood Bitch"... what happened there etc?

Whatever you do, have fun with it, and congrats on the interview if it happens.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:50:25 AM by WearingMyPeacoat9 »

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »

so are you gonna say all the stuff to him directly that you have been saying online? you know making fun of everything he does whether it be his band name or an off performance? or are you just gonna kiss his ass the whole time? im guessing you'll just kiss his ass.

If Scott asked for my opinion regarding last year's shows, I would tell him that I didn't think they were good based on videos I saw and the numerous reviews I was sent especially based on his reputation as a great live performer, so yes I would.  But an interview isn't about me ranting about my views, it's about the interview subject, so if I get to talk to Scott I'll ask him about what the fans want to hear about.  Also the majority of the Whataboutbobabouts joke names I've posted on AN, I took from here.  The whole joke started when Scott called them the Rockabouts.  Me posting a picture of Scott with oompa loompas is a goddamn joke.  Loosen up.

The bottom line is the shows are better this year, most of what we were unhappy with on here last year has been corrected (Scott singing off key, shows starting late, the band playing crappy arrangements, Doug Grean's noodling), so I'd see no point in digging up last year's tour unless Scott is inclined to talk about it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:27:31 AM by StoneTempleBrett »