May 11, 2024, 11:59:21 PM

Author Topic: Pearl Jam - Gigaton (2020)  (Read 1027 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Pearl Jam - Gigaton (2020)
« on: April 18, 2020, 01:39:51 AM »

Is everyone enjoying the new Pearl Jam album released a few weeks back?

I love it, it has a bit of everything. A great mix of straight up rock songs, slower thoughtful songs and some experimentation and new territory for them also. It’s exactly what Pearl Jam in 2020 should sound like I think.
I’ve enjoyed songs from every album they’ve put out but I think this is their best complete album since ‘Yield’.

Also, the whole album is on YouTube to stream with visuals for each track. My 2 most played albums in isolation have been this and the latest STP one. Thank God for music!
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Pearl Jam - Gigaton (2020)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:03:43 PM »
Yes it's bloody brilliant.Those first 4 tracks are a massive kick in the teeth, how fucking good is Quick Escape? Jesus. And then it settles down into some really beautiful song writing. Buckle Up is a bit weird but growing on me, but all the best PJ albums have some fucked up weird thing on there.

I agree it's their best since Yield as well. Avocado was good, but there's just something about this effort I can't put my finger on, it's completely unforced whereas Avocado seemed like a bit of a deliberate "comeback" album.

Oh and some of McCready's solos sound like he's 25 again. Amazing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:09:12 PM by Pingfah »

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 10:18:25 PM »
It's not bad. It's not their best album, but far from their worst.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 06:03:21 AM »
This is definitely my Summer 2020 album, played all the more upbeat songs at my barbecue the other day! Sounded great with a few beers!

ComicJohnPowers

• Co-Pilot
  • http://www.twitter.com/comicjohnpowers
    • View Profile
    • Creative Professional John Powers
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »
Thank you guys for this thread... I noticed it was released, and then completely forgot about it. Damn-near-40 John just doesn't chase new music like he used to... kids, quarantine, house projects. I guess it sounds like this thing is worth a listen. Thanks for the positive reviews... I'll give it a shot.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 06:23:32 AM »
Thank you guys for this thread... I noticed it was released, and then completely forgot about it. Damn-near-40 John just doesn't chase new music like he used to... kids, quarantine, house projects. I guess it sounds like this thing is worth a listen. Thanks for the positive reviews... I'll give it a shot.

I feel you on that man. I’m 38 and I don’t really find myself checking for new bands or music so much these days, it’s just when a band I already like puts something out that I check it really.
I was really impressed with the new Pearl Jam album though and it came out right at the start of lockdown here, a lot of the lyrical themes seem to fit perfectly with the world right now. The visuals they released over on YouTube for the songs are well worth checking out too.