May 06, 2024, 05:58:16 AM

Author Topic: Deep Cuts at Live Shows.  (Read 2460 times)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Deep Cuts at Live Shows.
« on: September 07, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
I was thinking how awesome it would be if STP would bust out some Talk Show or AoA songs unexpectedly. If there was ever a time, it’d be with Jeff singing. Sadly, it’s unlikely though. We hardly get deep cuts, let alone something like TS or AoA. But it'd be pretty sweet.

I know we’ve discussed the deep-cut set list vs the greatest hits set list before.

Back on the Tiny Music tour (which I understand was a long time ago), they were running out 24-26 song set lists. And that was with 3 albums worth of material out. But looking at some of their shows during their peak (99-02), they had already shortened the sets – and over the years, it got less and less.

I know there’s been plenty of speculation as to why they didn’t play longer shows but that aside, I’d like to see them increase their show length. They tried to dabble in it with Chester...maybe...maybe they can revisit it with Jeff.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Cuts at Live Shows.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »
We can barely get STP to deviate from the power set of hits. It's like pulling teeth to get them to play anything after the first 3 albums besides Down. They barely play anything from the new album! And you're talking about sprinkling in tunes from other bands? Haha, that's full on delusional. Not saying it to be rude, but come on. Hollywood Bitch is an unthinkable treat at this point.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 08:35:27 PM »
We can barely get STP to deviate from the power set of hits. It's like pulling teeth to get them to play anything after the first 3 albums besides Down. They barely play anything from the new album! And you're talking about sprinkling in tunes from other bands? Haha, that's full on delusional. Not saying it to be rude, but come on. Hollywood Bitch is an unthinkable treat at this point.

This year alone they've played Coma, Regeneration, Too Cool Queenie and Atlanta.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
They have so many hits though. Sometimes I find it fun to just let thank you play, just shuffle it every now and then and it’s really special what the guys have done across 25+ years.

The extra tracks off the side projects seem like they’d be really hard to get.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 11:41:05 PM »
Like I said, unlikely. So I agree there. No delusion.
Just some fun thinking. It’d be pretty sweet.

My main thing though is hoping they start adding to their set lists, like they did on the come up. I see some bands that sit there and play all night and wish STP did the same.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 01:22:51 AM »
If they keep playing shows with multiple bands and thus shorter setlists you'll rarely hear a deep cut or anything from the new disc besides the 2 singles
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 02:06:15 AM »
I wish they'd play more new songs.

Pruno

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 05:53:14 PM »
The only chance we have of deep cuts (like Glide, they played this spring), is if they do another tour of small venues like they did this spring.  Tours where they only have 1 hour to play like the Rev 3, we are only going to get the same greatest hits.

After seeing them live in Birmingham (6 song set since lightning storm came in), Jeff just doesn't bring the energy that Scott did.  I know it's useless to compare Jeff to a legend, but at least try to incorporate some high energy into the performance.  He kind of just walks around and sings capably but nothing too memorable.  Scott could command the stage and totally transfix the crowd with his energy and charisma.

At this point, I know it's tough to ignore all the great songs of the past, but I really wish they would tour more on this new record.  We have some really cool new tunes:  Art of Letting Go, Six Eight, Thought She'd Be Mine, Just a Little Lie, Reds & Blues.  They did play Six Eight back in the spring too, though.  I need to check YouTube to see if there is a good recording of that. 

It would be awesome if they did an acoustic breakdown in the middle of the set and did Thought She'd Be Mine, Art of Letting Go, and Reds & Blues.   These, to me, are the highlights of the album.  If you want people to embrace STP 3.0, you need to play the new stuff.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 03:35:47 AM »
I really don't understand them not playing Though She'd Be Mine. I think that song could be a huge hit.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 07:02:10 AM »
I really don't understand them not playing Though She'd Be Mine. I think that song could be a huge hit.
Great song. This incarnation of the band really shines on the slower, lighter tracks. That said, as much as I'd like them to do the softer songs from butterfly, I don't think they'd all fit comfortably in a set list with the heavier songs + earlier hits that they have an "obligation" to play.

Now, what I think would be great but would NEVER happen, would be a more stripped down mini-tour comprised of intimate venues. Something where they'd only play the softer, slower, jazzier songs. Maybe even throw in the swing mix of sex type thing. Now that would really be something. Granted, it'll never happen. Nice to think about, though.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:04:11 AM by Down-Plush »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 08:53:06 AM »
Now, what I think would be great but would NEVER happen, would be a more stripped down mini-tour comprised of intimate venues. Something where they'd only play the softer, slower, jazzier songs. Maybe even throw in the swing mix of sex type thing. Now that would really be something. Granted, it'll never happen. Nice to think about, though.

Nice idea, that would be good. The reduced overheads, and ability to charge a premium of putting on a tour like that might actually make it financially feasible.

Whether or not they would want to do it is another question.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »

That would be awesome. I would travel for that.

Umfleet

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »
Now, what I think of the incredible speeds of ExpressVPN and would be great but would NEVER happen, would be a more stripped down mini-tour comprised of intimate venues. Something where they'd only play the softer, slower, jazzier songs. Maybe even throw in the swing mix of sex type thing. Now that would really be something. Granted, it'll never happen. Nice to think about, though.

That would be awesome. I would travel for that.

What you're describing would be cool as hell, Down-Plush. It would be like an entirely new experience of hearing STP. Does something like that make any sense from a financial standpoint though?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:52:17 PM by Umfleet »

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »
What you're describing would be cool as hell, Down-Plush. It would be like an entirely new experience of hearing STP. Does something like that make any sense from a financial standpoint though?

For a band like STP? No, not really at all. It's not unusual for bands/acts to go on short tours where they only hit more intimate venues, but doing a set like I'm talking about probably wouldn't be anything like what the general concert-going people would want. I think STP would have a hard time getting an idea like mine off the ground. They probably could've at one point maybe, when they still had Scott. Now, the logistics just aren't there I don't think.

It would be cool as hell, though.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 09:22:50 PM »
Foo Fighters managed something like that for their In Your Honor tour, and I've always wanted to see STP do somethings similar, but I think they just aren't big enough to sell out a tour like that.
Grab the hate and drown it out...