September 21, 2024, 02:30:40 AM

Author Topic: Barbarella  (Read 8960 times)

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
Barbarella
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:16:18 AM »
alright this is my favorite song that scott weiland has ever written not just solo but stp, vr, or any of his other  bands period
 and just my favorite song of all time in general.. EVER!
 its quite possibly the deepest song weiland has ever written IMO.. so many deep lines
  some people think its just a pile of randomness so ill help try to break it down with my interpretation of it....

the chorus uses refererences of the old superhero that probaly nobody remembers lol.. ill sum it up

In the movie Barbarella, the character discovers the pleasure of sex and kind of whores her way around trying to find Durand Durand and stop him from using his "destructo ray" (I can't remember what it was but it was bad.). Along the way she meets an angel who can't see and lost the will to fly. She makes love to him and he regains his will. He flys her around and they are pursued by these evil flying things. Barbarella shoots them down. On and on. Barbarella saves the day. Its a terrible movie, but terrible like the Evil Dead is terrible. It's great

"Cant tell time by telling time, Shes so ready, Im so heavy , Its so heavy on me" - the constant pressure from a spouse to get sober... shes ready for him to kick the addiction to move foward but hes in too deep

"Barbarella Come and save me from my misery Cant you see its a disease" - Misery from drug addiction and a cry for help

"Shoot the bad guys and Ill gladly sing a tune for you" - "shoot the bad guys" = kicking the demons.. "ill glady sing a tune for you" painting a picture of what could be

"Lost in space-we could be free" - the regret of ever using in the first place and thinking about where you could be   
"Let go, let God they say I do believe but not in yours or yours I just believe its all the same " - those telling him to reach out to god while he was in jail/rehab to help turn his life around maybe... seems like hes saying he does believe in a god but he isnt tied to any specific religion

"Don't know just who I am Don't know about the lamb I'm the meat of the feast" - As a struggling adddict Scott is the meat that media/drug dealers feast on. It's an easy sale. Scott doesn't know "who I am", or his role, because he is clouded by his drug use.

Worth mentioning......The one line that hit me like a ton of bricks was: "grab a scale and guess the weight of all the pain I've given with my name. I'm a selfish piece of shit". This song is heavy. And it was a great way to sum up his message.
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Re: Barbarella
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
woah nice job there!!
btw where can i watch the music video i cant seem to find it anwhere. i haven't seen it in years
everytime i find it on a website it says the video is shut down/ cant be played

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:32:17 PM »
For me, his best lyrics are in naked sunday and still remains :)

The most enjoyable song to listen is "tangle with your mind" ..the song is just perfect. The video matches the lyrics and the music and the vocal melody is amazing!
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:48:19 AM »
The "grab a scale" line could be my favorite lyric of Scott's. Definitely top 5. You can feel his pain, especially when he sings it live.
adhesive love

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
somebody reply to my question!! does anyone have a link to the music video for this song that actually works? everytime i try to pull it up on some site it says it cant be played or has been removed blah blah blah. i remember the video being david bowie-ish buti cant find the vid anywhere =/

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »
somebody reply to my question!! does anyone have a link to the music video for this song that actually works? everytime i try to pull it up on some site it says it cant be played or has been removed blah blah blah. i remember the video being david bowie-ish buti cant find the vid anywhere =/

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_848181_Scott_Weiland_Barbarella.htm

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
Seems like you left me when you broke down

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
This is such an amazing tune and that seems to be the meaning of the lyrics I get - wanting out of the addiction etc etc etc

"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:49 AM »
thank you both very much!

i watched the music vid like 10 times in a row if that makes you feel better for your efforts  8)

captainslovakia

• Pilot
  • (((in stereo where available)))
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »

Before the workout tapes for days there was BARBARELLA Queen of the Galaxy, defender of the Universe, Space vixen of Space Vixens
kink
"That's hill-WILLIAM to you!" - cletus

captainslovakia

• Pilot
  • (((in stereo where available)))
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 03:10:52 PM »
there was supposed to be a picture there of Jane Fonda as Barbarella...Personally I liked the movie..I find it blends deep soulful meaning if one is willing to find it with cheap space movie love and sexy 1960's...all in all, worth renting. 1 and 1/2 thumbs up.
"That's hill-WILLIAM to you!" - cletus

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 04:47:48 AM »
what most people miss out on is that its actually an anti- war movie

i would reccomend this movie to anyone whos into the older classic movies
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:50:26 AM by stpunderground »

dannystardust

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:21:43 AM »
Am I the only one that notices that the video is an obvious tribute to the David Bowie film "The Man Who Fell To Earth??".. And the usage of the milk and the symbolic references behind it!..It's reference to drugs!...I love the video and wish he had made more..Did he?.I know of the live Mtv clips and such..I wonder why that video is so elusive and when found it is in lousy quality!!!.. Also check out the Bowie film I spoke of..You can stream the entire thing on utube I believe!..

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »
I love that song, love the video! I heard (or read) Scott say himself the video was a hats off to the Bowie movie. Never saw it before I heard it. And proceeded to watch it, after seeing the video. Totally is pbvious how much Scott is a fan of Bowie's. The movie is a trip. He's actually nude (showing it all off in a full frontal scene). But a cult classic of the Bowie fans.