May 16, 2024, 07:39:28 PM

Author Topic: 2001-08-04 - Latrobe, PA - Rolling Rock 2.0  (Read 4953 times)

peronim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
2001-08-04 - Latrobe, PA - Rolling Rock 2.0
« on: November 27, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »
Let me get your feedback...I've had the Thank You DVD for years and watched it millions of times and watched the other songs on youtube...I think the Rolling Rock gig is one of the best live performances, if not the best...It seems the whole band is in to it, Scott is dancing around like a maniac, the crowd interaction is awesome, and everyone in the band is spot on...Brilliant performance in my opinion
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:59:27 PM by Rik »

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling Rock 2.0 (Best live performance videos)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:02:11 AM »
You know, it's ironic, cause I went to that show and I'd have to say that out of the 10 times I've seen STP, this is pretty much the best I've seen them. I remember convincing 3 of my friends to come along with me. They weren't nearly the die hard fan for STP that I was, but still, to this day, they tell me it was one of the very best concerts they've been to. The irony, is that just last night I put in the Thankyou DVD again and watched those performances again. Not to mention, I also got the VHS copy of the payperview they aired, and it's evident that Rolling Rock is hands down of the very best (recorded) live performances ever.
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

andrewivanhayes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.visualmediatrade.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:59:12 AM »
I was in attendance at the Rolling Rock show back in 2001... Truly remarkable performance by SW and the Boys... the only thing missing that day was "Wicked Garden"... over all it was a spectacular show... what is special about the RR footage on the Thank You DVD is that it contains the performance of "Long Way Home"... which was not show in the televised broadcast on Pay Per View... Scott was an absolute maniac that day!!!

regards,

aH.

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:46:42 AM »
True, the DVD does have Long Way Home, which the PPV didn't. So glad too, because I really dig that song a lot and doubted they would play it. Feel pretty lucky to have seen the only performance of that song, though I wish every STP fan could. And, having Wicked Garden played would've been sweet, but I've seen that song more than I've seen Meatplow, and they did play that one at R.R.
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:36:54 AM »
I agree with basically everyone else in that this has to be one of STP's best, if not THE best, performance. I wasn't there, but I've seen LOTS of live footage over the years, and Rolling Rock has to be the best. It doesn't really matter to me, but do you guys think Scott was fucked up during that show? He's just SO FUCKING CRAZY, which is one of the reasons why that show is so good. Like at the end of "Down", where he's just rolling around moaning and shit...he's gotta be on something
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

andrewivanhayes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.visualmediatrade.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 05:51:59 AM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
I agree with basically everyone else in that this has to be one of STP's best, if not THE best, performance. I wasn't there, but I've seen LOTS of live footage over the years, and Rolling Rock has to be the best. It doesn't really matter to me, but do you guys think Scott was fucked up during that show? He's just SO FUCKING CRAZY, which is one of the reasons why that show is so good. Like at the end of "Down", where he's just rolling around moaning and shit...he's gotta be on something

i didn't want to have to get into this topic... but since it's been addressed, I'll discuss it... I have this show and have watch it many times on my large widescreen plasma... during the acoustic portion of the show, when SW sits down on the chair, you can see a rather large bruise on his right forearm, when he's holding the mic and singing into it, during the close ups... as much as I hate to make the connection... there's a good chance that he didn't get that bruise from falling off of the bus... it's more likely that he got it from "falling off of the wagon"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZQpTZqTado

i watched the show from fairly close that afternoon and thought that SW was out of his mind... I've seen STP live many times over the years, probably close to 15... and I've never seen him that jacked up before... he was like a tiger prowling the stage... this performance was absolutely stunning...  

my wife and I saw STP on their final tour back in 2002 just before they called it quits... this was the most amazing show that I've ever been to in my life... again, SW was completely out of his mind... he was even more wound up than the Rolling Rock show from the year prior... but boy did he ever deliver that night...

of course, I could be wrong about the bruise... I hope that I am... he's always been a very high energy, charismatic front man... either way, Scott Weiland is one of my heroes... STP's my all-time favorite band... nothing will ever change that... drugs or sobriety... charisma or reservation... I'm just glad that he's alive and they're playing the music that I grew up on once again!!!

regards,

aH.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 06:01:16 AM by andrewivanhayes »

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:54:26 AM »
I totally agree with what you said.^^^^

I didn't really wanna bring up the whole sober/not sober thing either, but I was just curious to see what other people thought. But yeah I agree, sober or not sober, that performance was fucking sick!
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

bighurt

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:56:59 PM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
I totally agree with what you said.^^^^

I didn't really wanna bring up the whole sober/not sober thing either, but I was just curious to see what other people thought. But yeah I agree, sober or not sober, that performance was fucking sick!

A question to pose:

Assuming he isn't going to die from ODing...
Would you rather have Weiland be[/b][/size] COKED out of his mind and rocking out hard, or are you more concerned with his health/well-being and wish he'd just chill out and put on a decent performance?[/size][/color]

Personally, I think I'd rather have him riding high and dominating again.  I am not sure if it is wrong of me to feel this way, but you have to admit how awesome he is when he is in his own world.  Am I outrageous to feel this way?

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-08-04 - Latrobe, PA - Rolling Rock 2.0
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 05:45:45 AM »
No idea what I'd do with a 30x50 foot backdrop, but I want it.
Grab the hate and drown it out...