May 13, 2024, 06:11:32 AM

Author Topic: A year ago today  (Read 5442 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: A year ago today
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2016, 06:29:49 AM »
Scott would 100% want his fans to listen to and enjoy the music that he worked so hard on throughout his whole career. He was so creative and artistic, as troubled as he was and it seemed like he always had song ideas in his head, we're lucky he left us with so much great music. I have no doubt that had he lived we'd have had another Wildabouts album this year or early next year, that makes me sad but also thankful for everything we did get from him while he was with us, he was never one to sit around not creating.
I try to remember this when I find it hard or upsetting listening to him. His music is his legacy and he no doubt was thinking about that when he was writing a lot of these songs.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2016, 08:32:49 PM »
Are people really "unable to listen to" Scott's music?

I remember a lot of people said that right when he died, right at the same moment I was blasting STP in honor of his memory.

I didn't get it then, and I sure as hell don't get it now. For me to be affected by someone's passing to the point of not being able to listen to or experience the art they created, well, I would have had to probably have been in some sort of intimate relationship with that person where I shared most of my waking moments with them.

I'm sure 99% of the people claiming they are "unable to listen" to the music have never even met Scott Weiland, or if they have, it was just in passing after a show or something.

It's weird because I don't remember anyone saying they were too sad to listen to Nirvana after Cobain died, or that they were too sad to listen to Alice in Chains when Staley died.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 09:02:56 PM »
I'm the same as you, I don't get why people can't or couldn't listen to him but we all grieve in different ways.

I was moved to listen as much of Scotts work as I could after him passing, got me emotional but that's what I needed to do, I guess, to deal with the news.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:06:03 PM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
At first it was like "Jesus fuck, it happened, he's dead" when I'd hear his tunes. I listen to em all the time now. Been playing a lot of Happy In Galoshes a lot of the time. Underrated stuff.
Bleeda blooda

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2016, 11:29:15 PM »

I remember a lot of people said that right when he died, right at the same moment I was blasting STP in honor of his memory.

I didn't get it then, and I sure as hell don't get it now. For me to be affected by someone's passing to the point of not being able to listen to or experience the art they created, well, I would have had to probably have been in some sort of intimate relationship with that person where I shared most of my waking moments with them.

I'm sure 99% of the people claiming they are "unable to listen" to the music have never even met Scott Weiland, or if they have, it was just in passing after a show or something.

It's weird because I don't remember anyone saying they were too sad to listen to Nirvana after Cobain died, or that they were too sad to listen to Alice in Chains when Staley died.

I'm one of those people.  Hard to describe.  I've gone out of my way to watch some youtube videos.  VH1 Storyteller, Rise of VR.  I did run through the STP catalog last December.  But Blaster, HIG, 12BB, Art of Anarchy, the VR albums they've stayed closed.  I haven't whipped out an STP album either since Dec.  No appetite for it.  I've been listening to some indie albums ie Halo Circus, Deep Valley, I enjoyed the new Garbage album.  I do follow Rob Deleo on social media and am happy he's out playing and living his life.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2016, 12:07:52 AM »
I've listened to the first 5 STP records and Contraband since he past... But stuff like S/T, 'Happy', Blaster and even Libertad that came out during his 'downfall' has been hard for me to listen to.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2016, 12:20:47 AM »

When he died, I initially had trouble listening to any of his music in those first few days.  I was still so sad and really in shock and wasn't ready to listen.  A week later I took a night, lit some candles, and cranked up the volume and just let myself get as upset as I needed and let a lot out. 

Since then I'll still get bummed out every now and then when certain songs come on or given a moment that takes me by surprise (seems moreso with stuff from 12BB, HIG, Blaster & SLDD).  But to be very honest, until the past few weeks, I hadn't really gone out of my way to put on any of Scott's music.  If it came up in shuffle or on the radio, cool.  I'm not really sure why.

That's how I naturally reacted and how I tried to allow myself to release what was built up in me.  We do all grieve in different ways.  It didn't get you that way and that's cool.

Speaking just for myself, the 15+ years (I unfortunately was late to the music scene growing up) that his music/vocals/lyrics affected me.  That was and still is an intimate relationship to me.  However, closeness/relation to a person (especially a celebrity) shouldn't necessarily quantify any level of pain or mourning.  I am just a dedicated fan.  I'd believe there are some with closer ties to Scott, who could've had an "easier" time coping.  Just as I'd believe there are some more distanced, who could've had a "harder" time coping.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
Yeah, people are different.

I know this, but I still question it when I don't understand something. I wasn't trying to rag on people who have had a hard time with it.

For me, it's just, when a musician passes on, it becomes all the more important to recognize and respect the contributions they made to the world. If nobody listens to Weiland, the world will forget.

I'm sure if you could ask the guy, he would say while he is touched that y'all are hurting too bad to listen to his stuff, he'd much rather everyone really listen, enjoy, and understand where he was coming from.

He will never be truly dead, as long as people remember him and his music. By turning your back on it because it hurts too bad, is doing him more of a disservice than anything.

That's my view on it, anyway.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »
Yeah, people are different.

I know this, but I still question it when I don't understand something. I wasn't trying to rag on people who have had a hard time with it.

For me, it's just, when a musician passes on, it becomes all the more important to recognize and respect the contributions they made to the world. If nobody listens to Weiland, the world will forget.

I'm sure if you could ask the guy, he would say while he is touched that y'all are hurting too bad to listen to his stuff, he'd much rather everyone really listen, enjoy, and understand where he was coming from.

He will never be truly dead, as long as people remember him and his music. By turning your back on it because it hurts too bad, is doing him more of a disservice than anything.

That's my view on it, anyway.

I see where you're coming from.  I didn't take your comment as a slight or anything.  I just wanted to share my insight.

I'd love to hear his music blasting from the mountaintops so all could hear.  I had to take my initial time.  For me listening right away when I wasn't ready, wasn't because I didn't want to honor him, but moreso just because I wasn't ready to acknowledge it...to even entertain the thought that there'd be no more new music.  Once my head cleared a bit, I was ready again.

Like I said for most of the past year I could listen again but for some reason just wasn't going out of my way to play it all.  But since Thanksgiving I've been playing all his music again in a non-stop loop.  It's been really nice to have again.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2016, 04:55:03 AM »
I find 'Happy In Galoshes' the hardest album to listen to for some reason, just some really sad songs on it I guess. 'Sentimental Halo's' had me in tears the other week when that chorus kicked in "Please God, save me from drowning, please God keep me breathing". It's like he was crying out for help on that song :(
'Arch Angel' despite being quite upbeat also fills me with sadness for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:57:38 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long