June 03, 2024, 03:26:10 AM

Author Topic: Thinking about Scott - 3 years later.  (Read 5254 times)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about Scott - 3 years later.
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 09:49:12 PM »
Leave it to this board to take a compliment to the band and twist it into a negative. I know how good the guys are. I've spent literal decades playing their stuff. Hell, I have found one of the chord changes in Sour Girl to be harder than learning a solo from someone considered a "virtuoso."

All I was saying was, as a band, the whole was greater than the sum of its parts. And I think if you look at Scott solo, Army of Anyone, Talk Show, and the current version of the band, as good as they were, they don't touch STP at their best with Scott.

As far as writing songs for others, Dean cowrote a song on Chris Robinson's first solo album, and he also cowrote a couple songs (and played guitar) on an Alanis Morrissette record 15 years ago or so. Robert cowrote an Earth to Andy song called "Never Be Cold" (by ear, it sounds like he wrote the bridge) and Robert was asked to write a song for Ozzy several years ago but it didn't end up on the album. That's what I can remember off of the top of my head.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »
I don't know what you are getting upset about, nobody even said you had called them "not good" those were your words, not anybody else's. Settle down, nobody was doubting that you think Dean and Rob are good, none of us would be here if we thought that.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »
Four years, yesterday. Miss you Scott

I had the midwife naked and alone

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2019, 04:20:29 AM »
Can’t believe it’s been 4 years already. Still miss him greatly, would always be looking forward to whatever project he was working on. The music scene for me just isn’t the same without him and then losing Chris Cornell soon after was also a massive blow.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »
Didn't realize it until I saw.it online a few days after.   Miss him but he still lives on in his music, glad we have that.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2020, 09:55:33 PM »
RIP Scott.

Still sucks to think you'll never be seen on stage again. 

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2020, 07:10:20 PM »
Sometimes I can't help but consider that the guy bought the drugs that killed him only about 15 or so miles from me, in a city I've hung out in many times over the years. It's a ridiculous consideration. There's nothing I could've done.

But then I consider that at the show a few hours before he did this, I saw Tommy Black standing about 6 feet from me in the foyer, looking around with a drink in his hand. I didn't say anything to him - just acknowledged he was there and let him be at peace. Again, another ridiculous consideration. There's nothing I could've done.

It just sucks because it was all so close. I'm not internalizing it, or being an emotional weirdo. I had bigger things to do deal with that year. But the point is that... mathematically it was all so close. I don't think there was anything I could've done. "Hey Tommy, don't stop in Villa Park tonight". shrugs.

The whole situation is just dumb.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2020, 04:13:34 AM »
Sometimes I can't help but consider that the guy bought the drugs that killed him only about 15 or so miles from me, in a city I've hung out in many times over the years. It's a ridiculous consideration. There's nothing I could've done.

But then I consider that at the show a few hours before he did this, I saw Tommy Black standing about 6 feet from me in the foyer, looking around with a drink in his hand. I didn't say anything to him - just acknowledged he was there and let him be at peace. Again, another ridiculous consideration. There's nothing I could've done.

It just sucks because it was all so close. I'm not internalizing it, or being an emotional weirdo. I had bigger things to do deal with that year. But the point is that... mathematically it was all so close. I don't think there was anything I could've done. "Hey Tommy, don't stop in Villa Park tonight". shrugs.

The whole situation is just dumb.

Sadly at that point I don’t think there was anything ANYONE could have done. I’ve always been of the opinion that Tommy enabled Scott, but ultimately Scott was his own person and it was only he who could save himself. The most depressing thing is I think he was a broken man by that point and had really stopped caring about life. He didn’t seem happy at all those last few months after Jeremy passed, he also looked like he was very weak and probably in physical pain. All just really sad.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2023, 01:57:42 AM »
8 years now…