May 20, 2024, 05:20:49 AM

Author Topic: Talk Show/STP reuniting  (Read 8419 times)

dlc95

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Talk Show/STP reuniting
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 08:21:15 PM »
If by any chance the powers that be in the band see this, I put out my request for another Talk Show album with Coutts.

In all honesty I was never a fan of Scott, or STP. It was Dave's performance and the incredible music on the Talk Show album that caught my attention. Going back and listening, I love the STP stuff, but still prefer Dave and Talk Show.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 08:57:22 PM »
If by any chance the powers that be in the band see this, I put out my request for another Talk Show album with Coutts.

In all honesty I was never a fan of Scott, or STP. It was Dave's performance and the incredible music on the Talk Show album that caught my attention. Going back and listening, I love the STP stuff, but still prefer Dave and Talk Show.

You must have not seen this.
http://blastecho.com/stone-temple-pilots-spin-off-singer-blasts-new-auditions/
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 11:17:45 PM »
Thanks for that, did not see it.  Coutts makes some interesting comments, I like the chord snob comment on Dean who does sound dickish.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 02:15:25 AM »
What was up with that "don't kiss him onstage" comment? A little sprinkling of homophobic snark to finish off the article? bleh. that was an interesting read, but it was kind of bitter and dark too. Kinda makes me disappointed in everybody.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 04:38:09 AM »
Thanks for that, did not see it.  Coutts makes some interesting comments, I like the chord snob comment on Dean who does sound dickish.

I felt the same way. With the way Dean was throwing out zingers while talking about Scott last month in interviews, and Dave randomly telling this info about Dean... Seriously just picture that happening, I don't know too many situations where the person in Dean's position making that comment wouldn't get KO'd...

dlc95

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 12:23:16 PM »
That's an interesting interview.

I've been in bands since 1992, and almost every time the outward appearance to fans is much different than what goes on behind the scenes.

I can only imagine that our perceptions of what it is to be in Dave's shoes is much different than the reality he experienced. Outside of having his talents ripped to shreds publicly, and biased, unfair comparisons to his predecessor - the dynamic in the band may have been troubling itself. Poor goes in there thinking "gee, this should be fun", only to get tore up for doing what he loves to do.

One of my friends made a submission for stp. He is an amazing vocalist, a combination of Chris Cornell, Sebastian Bach, and John Fogerty. He can sing anything. He even told me that of he were to get the gig somehow, he'd be the most hated man in America because he isn't Scott Weiland. I have to agree.

It's too bad. I liked the Ten Inch Men stuff a lot, but the Talk Show ensemble had a certain charm to it. It took me places in a cosmic sense while listening, which neither STP, or TIM did for me. That combination of Coutts, DeLeos, and Kretz was magical in that sense.

It's frustrating to not be able to have a second offering. That Talk Show album was pivotal in my life, and with all the music available in the world, all I would ask for is just another Talk Show album, or at least something with Coutts on it.

Even here in Detroit, there was a band called Gods Made Love, whose singer, Tim Furlong sounded a bit like Dave. I can't get more music from them either!

Dave and Tim have that voice I like....

You can check out Tim's voice here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ81NGtgbSY

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 01:21:27 PM »

You must have not seen this.
http://blastecho.com/stone-temple-pilots-spin-off-singer-blasts-new-auditions/

Yikes. Never really been sure what to make of Dave, credibility wise, but that borderline homophobic comment at the end certainly doesn't help his cause. There was clearly some tension during those Talk Show days, and he still appears bitter about it. I'd take most of what he says with a grain of salt.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:46:59 PM by Flyingmerpa »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2016, 04:51:52 AM »
I listened to the Talk Show album again today for the first time in a few years, I still think it's just okay... Of course I dig most of the music on there because it (obviously) sounds like STP but Coutts doesn't really blow me away. I think 'Behind' and 'Fill The Fields' are really interesting songs, I can't help but wonder what Scott would've brought to those 2 though...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:53:50 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2016, 05:01:52 AM »
I listened to the Talk Show album again today for the first time in a few years, I still think it's just okay... Of course I dig most of the music on there because it (obviously) sounds like STP but Coutts doesn't really blow me away. I think 'Behind' and 'Fill The Fields' are really interesting songs, I can't help but wonder what Scott would've brought to those 2 though...

I always felt like "Fill The Fields" was the other side of "Atlanta".

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2016, 05:37:44 AM »

That's exactly why I don't listen to Talk Show, I honestly tried... but its strange hearing 90's STP instrumentals, without Scott's voice.

With Army Of Anyone, things sound different enough to where I can tolerate and somewhat dig whats going on there... but with Talk Show, it just gives me a weird vibe.

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2016, 08:48:33 AM »
I love the Talk Show album a whole lot. But I think the idea of them reuniting is ridiculous.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2016, 02:37:43 PM »
I love the Talk Show album a whole lot. But I think the idea of them reuniting is ridiculous.

True dat.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2016, 05:42:48 AM »

I always felt like "Fill The Fields" was the other side of "Atlanta".

Yeah I was thinking the same thing whilst listening to it the other day, there are some similarities between the 2 songs musically. I'm so glad Dean saved 'Atlanta' for Scott as I heard the riff was actually written during the 'Tiny Music' sessions so it could've easily ended up on the Talk Show album instead and we'd have never got the masterpiece that ended up on 'No.4'...
Another song that stands out for me on the Talk Show record is 'Wash Me Down', love Dean's mellow slide solo in the middle.
I agree with SeattleSound about the Army of Anyone album being stronger though and it sounding more like a new project as apposed to STP Lite which is always the kinda vibe I got with Coutts and Talk Show.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

dlc95

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 08:22:24 AM »
I suppose a lot of STP fans have a different perspective. I was never a fan of STP. I was in to singers like Sebastian Bach, Freddie Mercury, Oni Logan, Phil Lewis, etc. When the Hello Hello single debuted on local radio, I wasn't expecting much, but when Dave hit that chorus I was blown away. Finally a 90's guy singing! I bought the album and was blown away. I ended up getting a copy of Ten Inch Men "Pretty Vultures". That album was great too, but the combination of DeLeo/Kretz was pure bliss for me. It got me into other styles of music. I was just 21 when that album came out, and it left a huge mark on my life.

So when I hear post Talk Show songs, I'm left wishing Dave was singing them instead of Scott.