May 20, 2024, 07:41:37 AM

Author Topic: Dave Coutts(Talk Show vocalist)  (Read 24184 times)

bigemptysg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Coutts(Talk Show vocalist)
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 07:47:15 PM »
Vocals-Not great but not bad
Lyrics-Epic failure. Some of the worst I've ever read.

Example 1-"Peeling and orange I am expecting great sweetness. Peeling an orange yes I am very optimistic. Sometimes the acid stings my eyes." and the second verse "Building a house from mud, cause it's already dead" WTF?

RCLAR

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 08:27:50 PM »
Well, they can't all be great. But there are some gems on that CD. The lyrics to Hello Hello are quite cool, I think...

Ok, all this talk about Talk Show is really making me want to listen the CD, but the problem is that I don't have it on my computer and my copy of the CD is literally thousands of miles away from where I am right now. Could one of you guys do me a solid and upload it for me? I do own it, I promise, cross my heart and hope to die, hehe. Not just looking for a free copy.
Karma schmarma.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »
Quote from: "RCLAR"
Well, they can't all be great. But there are some gems on that CD. The lyrics to Hello Hello are quite cool, I think...

Ok, all this talk about Talk Show is really making me want to listen the CD, but the problem is that I don't have it on my computer and my copy of the CD is literally thousands of miles away from where I am right now. Could one of you guys do me a solid and upload it for me? I do own it, I promise, cross my heart and hope to die, hehe. Not just looking for a free copy.

Oh man, you know I don't think I ever even bothered to store this on my PC or media server...

The friggin' disc itself would probably be a collectors item due to low print, if the album had a following.  Still, the music itself is pretty good. For real.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 12:19:58 AM »
Listened to Pretty Vultures today. Gotta say that i really like it.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »
Dave Coutts has an AMAZING singing voice. He's actually 75% of the reason I loved the Talk Show album. Plus his vocals just work with all the songs. There's not one song on there that he seems "off" on. I'd like to know what he's been up to all these years, actually.
Back for another one

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 04:41:57 PM »
Dave Coutts has an AMAZING singing voice. He's actually 75% of the reason I loved the Talk Show album. Plus his vocals just work with all the songs. There's not one song on there that he seems "off" on. I'd like to know what he's been up to all these years, actually.

totally agree! I've been listening  to this album a bunch lately, I think he's totally awesome on it, love his voice. the talk show record is SO underrated. Might check out ten inch men.

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 08:13:44 PM »
Vocals-Not great but not bad
Lyrics-Epic failure. Some of the worst I've ever read.

Example 1-"Peeling and orange I am expecting great sweetness. Peeling an orange yes I am very optimistic. Sometimes the acid stings my eyes." and the second verse "Building a house from mud, cause it's already dead" WTF?

Mud is already dead, as opposed to something like trees which are chopped down and "killed" to build houses. As for the orange acid part, since the entire song seems to be pointing towards moving away from a corporate concrete world and back into nature, acid stinging your eyes is like a reminder that's it's never going to be as easy as you'd like it to reassimilate into nature as you'd like it to be, especially as a society. I remember reading somewhere that Coutts was really into Henry David Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emmerson.
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
Weiland's lyrics have been just as strange. I love Talk Show and have recently been listening to it alot again. Fantastic album!!
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

Cave Doutts

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 03:09:15 AM »
Thanks Action Girls and Caged Tiger for having my back, Peeling an orange was more about looking forward to something, but once getting that thing that you wanted, sometimes things backfire or arent what you thought they would be.  Being in Talk Show was a little like that.  I miss playing music. Never promised the boys I was a great lyricist.
I think that the guy I wrote with in Ten Inch Men wrote some amazing lyrics. Check out songs like Beautiful and Machine Gun Blues.
Later

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 03:15:08 AM »
Thanks Action Girls and Caged Tiger for having my back, Peeling an orange was more about looking forward to something, but once getting that thing that you wanted, sometimes things backfire or arent what you thought they would be.  Being in Talk Show was a little like that.  I miss playing music. Never promised the boys I was a great lyricist.
I think that the guy I wrote with in Ten Inch Men wrote some amazing lyrics. Check out songs like Beautiful and Machine Gun Blues.
Later

Holy crap, look who it is!!! :o (Hopefully)

How did you end up here?! Definitely stick around for a while. You'll probably find the biggest collection of Talk Show fans in the universe here.

If things between STP ever don't work out, hit the DeLeo brothers up and tell them you want to record another one!!!
Bleeda blooda

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 03:21:11 AM »
I listen to the Talk Show record quite often ... very solid indeed ...
"Heaven has no windows ... 'cause Heaven has no walls."
I got a picture of a photograph ...

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 03:24:33 AM »
Later

Woah is this the real Dave Coutts?!?

The Talk Show album is the shit.... Every song is a gem

Nice to get some insight on Peeling an Orange!
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Butterfly Sugarboost

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 08:20:37 AM »
Rarely post but you jumping on the board (possibly) is too much to resist.  Hello, Hello, to me, is one of the most rocking songs in the catalog in my head.  I'll reserve any further comments until it's verified, but please Mr. Coutts, if it's you, get it verified so I can give you your due.  You're great for a variety of reasons.

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »
Hey Dave Coutts!  If that really is you, just like to throw some love your way.  Thanks for the great tunes, sir!
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
The Talk Show album gets just as heavy rotation as any of the STP records for me, well except maybe Tiny Music.

It gets played a lot, at any rate. One can only assume that the low sales means that there are a lot of hardcore STP fans who don't own it. I can only say that they don't know what they are missing out on. That album has some of Deans best riffs on it, and Mr Coutts has a substantially different presence than Scott, but he works extremely well with the guys.