May 30, 2024, 03:48:17 AM

Author Topic: 2 years since self titled already...  (Read 13189 times)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: 2 years since self titled already...
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04:55 PM »
I feel like its is blatantly obvious that STP did not record this album together.  It feels slightly uninspired.  It lacked that certain edge that all of the other STP albums have, you know that want foot dangling off the cliff kind of edge.  In my opinion I feel it is STP's weakest album.  After releasing a very inspired, expansive, and creative album like SLDD where I felt like they really pushed the boundaries creatively, self titled seemed like an album where they played it safe.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinion those are just my thoughts.  I wish they would get back into it just for the sake of the music again, but unfortunately I think they and are more worried about cashing in then satisfying their musical souls and ironically enough I think this is their downfall as it tends to alienate their hard core base of fans.   

I do not think I was alienated by this album. I just do not think it is a strong as the rest of their work. It has its moments, but it is definitely my least favorite album of theirs.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
I feel like its is blatantly obvious that STP did not record this album together.  It feels slightly uninspired.  It lacked that certain edge that all of the other STP albums have, you know that want foot dangling off the cliff kind of edge.  In my opinion I feel it is STP's weakest album.  After releasing a very inspired, expansive, and creative album like SLDD where I felt like they really pushed the boundaries creatively, self titled seemed like an album where they played it safe.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinion those are just my thoughts.  I wish they would get back into it just for the sake of the music again, but unfortunately I think they and are more worried about cashing in then satisfying their musical souls and ironically enough I think this is their downfall as it tends to alienate their hard core base of fans.   

I do not think I was alienated by this album. I just do not think it is a strong as the rest of their work. It has its moments, but it is definitely my least favorite album of theirs.

I don't mean to sound super negative as I totally agree with your statement.  There were bright spots on the album and it definitely didn't alienate me as a fan.  I still love STP and pop self titled in from time to time.  I just am in the same boat as you as far as feeling that it is their weakest album.  Highlights for me were Maver, Hazy Daze, BTL, Hickory (this song grew on me, Love the lyrics), and believe it or not I think Cinnamon is a very well written song with a great hook.  Ya it has slightly cheesy lyrics, but It fits the song in a way. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:16:39 PM by cagedtiger1640 »

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 02:20:21 PM »

I don't mean to sound super negative as I totally agree with your statement.  There were bright spots on the album and it definitely didn't alienate me as a fan.  I still love STP and pop self titled in from time to time.  I just am in the same boat as you as far as feeling that it is their weakest album.  Highlights for me were Maver, Hazy Daze, BTL, Hickory (this song grew on me, Love the lyrics), and believe it or not I think Cinnamon is a very well written song with a great hook.  Ya it has slightly cheesy lyrics, but It fits the song in a way. 

I initially LOATHED Cinnamon, but it is probably in the top three for me from the s/t album, along with Maver, First Kiss From Mars, and either Take a Load Off or Huckleberry Crumble.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »
I bought it at Target the day it was released. Prior to hearing the album in full, I heard like most of you BTL, Huckleberry, Hickory, and Bag Man. After spinning the album, I thought the first four tracks I heard were the best ones. I HATED Cinnamon. Fast As I Can was GROSSLY overrated. It sounded like a VR b-side to me. The only tracks that really stood out to me were FKFM and Maver. Over time, I really grew to like Cinnamon. But overall, it is my least favorite STP album.

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »
I bought it at Target the day it was released. Prior to hearing the album in full, I heard like most of you BTL, Huckleberry, Hickory, and Bag Man. After spinning the album, I thought the first four tracks I heard were the best ones. I HATED Cinnamon. Fast As I Can was GROSSLY overrated. It sounded like a VR b-side to me. The only tracks that really stood out to me were FKFM and Maver. Over time, I really grew to like Cinnamon. But overall, it is my least favorite STP album.

First kiss on Mars and Maver seemed to stand out for a lot of STP fans.  STP has always knocked these kind of songs out of the park in my opinion.   "I got you" was always one of my favorites off of No.4. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:31:50 PM by cagedtiger1640 »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 02:46:08 PM »

I very much agree about Fast as I Can, it's a slightly lazy bit of writing IMO, one of the least inspired riffs I have heard from a Deleo and phoned in vocals from Scott. All of which is in sharp contrast to Take a Load Off, which is one of my favourite Deleo riffs, and probably my favourite track on the album. If only they'd been able to pull it off live, that would have been a big crowd pleaser.

Cinnamon I like quite a bit, I can't understand why they tossed out the trippy video for that track. I thought the whole package (video + track) would have made a great single. The second video was more boring, but fine.

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »
Cinnamon I like quite a bit, I can't understand why they tossed out the trippy video for that track. I thought the whole package (video + track) would have made a great single. The second video was more boring, but fine.

+1 I really liked the "trippy" cinnamon video and feel as though it could have been a success.  Especially on something like VH1 and more pop oriented rock stations.  I wonder what happened with that, oh well. 

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
My evaluation 2 years after the fact. 
I like the album much much more now.  But I agree as someone mentioned above, it's not so much I listen to a song here and there (other than Peacoat Hazy daze, and FKOM) but when i hear one it sometimes makes me have to go listen to at least 4-5 songs back to back.  I also really feel that it is an album that the order of the songs is important.
Rating when it first came out: 6.5
Rating now: 8.5

May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
While I agree that this is their weakest album, it does hold a special place in my heart and I have many happy memories from that summer. The album came out the day we got the keys to our first home, and the hubby and I, along with anyone else we suckered into helping, listened to it non-stop as we painted, cleaned, and prepped the place before moving in. It was on all day as I decorated and made our house feel like a home. :)  I lost my very best friend that July, my precious little dog, Sydney. I remember finding comfort in all of STPs music, but especially Self Titled, since I listened to that the most.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

stewdog1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
I still hold this in high regard.  I personally think it is better than SLDD, but not by much.  Although that might have something to do with the fact that FKOM and Maver are two of their best songs ever.  Plus Peacoat, Hazy Daze, Cinnamon and TALO are on par with some of the classic STP songs.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »
Surprised all the flack this album is getting for being too safe and not creative enough. Huckleberry, Hickory, Dare if You Dare, Cinnamon, Bagman, and First Kiss on Mars all showcased sides of STP we had never seen before. That's like half the album that completely surprised us in one way or another, for better or for worse...but i think it's ridiculous to say this album was a cop out or too safe.

If you wanna take a look at a safe album, go no further than the first CD this band ever released
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 10:23:54 PM »
Surprised all the flack this album is getting for being too safe and not creative enough. Huckleberry, Hickory, Dare if You Dare, Cinnamon, Bagman, and First Kiss on Mars all showcased sides of STP we had never seen before. That's like half the album that completely surprised us in one way or another, for better or for worse...but i think it's ridiculous to say this album was a cop out or too safe.

If you wanna take a look at a safe album, go no further than the first CD this band ever released
I don't think STP's done anything too safe, including Core, which is why I love them. They have evolved their sound despite negativity along the way, and to me they have succeeded. Core is the "safest" album of their's but that's to be expected for a first album, and it's a damn good safe album. And I agree about Self Titled completely.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Slither i agree! to say self titled isnt creative or too safe is bs, its some of stps most creative and differnt sounding material. Core is their safe album by far imo. great record but it just doesnt grab me like the later stuff. and yes FKOM and Maver are instant stp classics. i dont think a day has gone by where i havent played self titled since the release. i want another stp album already!

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »
Slither i agree! to say self titled isnt creative or too safe is bs, its some of stps most creative and differnt sounding material. Core is their safe album by far imo. great record but it just doesnt grab me like the later stuff. and yes FKOM and Maver are instant stp classics. i dont think a day has gone by where i havent played self titled since the release. i want another stp album already!

I would go as far to say that STP doesn't have 'safe' material. While it was their most accessible album, Core just seemed like what they were playing at the time, as opposed to something manufactured for the casual listener. However, if Purple had sounded like Core, that would've been a safe album. Fortunately, that's not the case.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2012, 01:14:03 AM »
yeah Purple is and always will be a masterpiece. probably the most darkest stp album, if you take adhesive and threw it on there i think it would be. actually just for fun ill list the emotions/feelings i get from each stp album.
Core- the most angry
Purple- the darkest
Tiny music- very sad also the most tripped out
N4- kinda the same as core but not quite as angry
Shangri- the most pretty beautiful
self titled- a really good mix of everything