May 16, 2024, 02:58:07 PM

Author Topic: What would you like to see this 2018 tour?  (Read 1722 times)

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
What would you like to see this 2018 tour?
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:21:22 PM »
Let's start that topic again... "What would you like to see this tour?"

I'll make this a top-3 list, in no particular order:

- At least 6-8 songs from the new album every night
- 2 or 3 songs they skipped previously 'cause they needed a 2nd guitar player.
- Some Led Zeppelin jams in between songs

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: What would you like to see this 2018 tour?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 05:27:42 PM »
Solid number of tracks from the new album.

Rotation of the big hits so it doesn't feel like the same old set list every night.

Glide

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 05:42:02 PM »
I don't want them to dance around the softer material. I feel like they did when they were with Scott, because some of it doesn't translate as well to a live scenario, but I'd want to hear anyway. I Got You is a brilliant song that deserves play. Atlanta would be class. Glide would be a cool, slightly heavier segue into something like Hello It's Late or Art Of Letting Go. I don't think they need to play a ton of tracks from the new album, but a minimum of four would be respectable.

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 05:49:27 PM »

It would be cool if they would do a subtle tribute for Scott each night(AIC had an awesome Layne tribute on their first tour).  My idea would be something like prior to each show starting while the fans are arriving into the venue it would be neat if they had a Scott megaphone sitting on one of the boxes at the front/center of the stage with a purple light shining on it, then remove the megaphone just before the band comes onto the stage, kill the purple light into total blackness in the venue, then out comes the band as normal.

Bring back the acoustic set and play at least 4-5 songs within that set(Atlanta and And So I know being 2 of those songs would be a bonus)

Play at least 5 songs from the new album to show that this isn't just more of the same of the last 20 or so years of touring mostly the hits

Play a minimum of 20 songs per night

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
There’s one element that could make me excited for the new STP... if they did continually play 5+ plus new songs on the set... I get that they will/need to play the “Thank You” album because that’s what most ticket buyers are looking for... but I would love this lineup to play as many new songs as possible. It’s gojng to feel mostly like a tribute act to me otherwise... and I’m not trying to be a wise guy with that statement.

Gutt is talented, let the his songs have their time to shine as it would be interesting as well.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 10:03:14 PM »
2 hour shows.

Stop listening to what the "fans" want.

Dean is disappointed they asked people to choose the setlist, and they picked the hits? He shouldn't be, STP have established themselves as a band that plays all the hits, every night. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, keep playing the same sets because you are worried about the reception of deep cuts and you wind up playing to crowds of drunk people reliving their jock days, and not understanding Sex Type Thing. Speculate a little.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
I guess we can forget about a lot of new music on the first week(s) of the tour:

How many songs will DeLeo and the group do from their new album?

’Well, I know that — right away — we’ll do two songs off the new record,” he said. “And, once the record comes out and people have time to digest it, we’ll start to integrate more of it. So, hopefully, in the next year we’ll probably do at least five new songs.”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/music/sd-et-music-stone-temple-20180227-story.html

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »
Basically, get ready for the greatest hits. I understand the position they’re in... this band has given themselves the reputation of playing the greatest hits primarily...

So how do they work in “more” deep cuts and 2-5 new songs.... they don’t.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 07:37:03 PM »
I guess we can forget about a lot of new music on the first week(s) of the tour:

How many songs will DeLeo and the group do from their new album?

’Well, I know that — right away — we’ll do two songs off the new record,” he said. “And, once the record comes out and people have time to digest it, we’ll start to integrate more of it. So, hopefully, in the next year we’ll probably do at least five new songs.”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/music/sd-et-music-stone-temple-20180227-story.html

Really a big disappointment.  The minimum should be the 3 that have been released and even then, I really think they should be playing around 5.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 08:01:17 PM »
Now is the time for them to reinvent themselves as a new band.  Scott is gone.  A talented new singer, a brand spanking new album.  They may have to work for it, but they NEED to play more of these new songs, otherwise what is the freakin' point? But it appears they are already setting themselves up for disaster: being an STP classics cover band and repeating history all over again.  Once they set the precedent it will be hard to go back.  Looking farther down the road, is that what Jeff Gutt wants to do 1, 3, 7 years later?  Sing 95% classic STP songs and barely sing his own material?

The following setlist is pretty much guaranteed.  I'm basing it on Gutt's previous performance (strong reception on Coma, Piece of Pie), the fact they will include 2 new songs,  based statistically on song popularity on previous setlists throughout their career, and usually they play around 16-18 songs on average for festival dates (which is primarily what the new tour is).

1. Sex Type Thing
2. Wicked
3. Piece of Pie
4. Plush
5. Vasoline
6. Interstate
7. Big Empty
8. Trippin'
9. Down
10. Coma
11. Crackerman
12. Dead and Bloated
13. Creep
14. Silvergun
15. Meadow
16. Roll Me Under

So that leaves very little wiggle room for other deep cuts.  I didn't even include other somewhat popular songs like Sin and Big Bang Baby.  Festival dates are the worst place to play deep cuts, so unless they stick to their guns we will have to wait for the smaller venues they headline for any sort of hope.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
Given the tour they are on (generally non-headlining festival dates) I understand where Dean is coming from on this.  As much as I'd like to see STP play a lot of newer material, at most of the festivals STP is signed on for they are by far the LEAST hard rock band of the bunch.  I think the attitude in the band is probably to win the audience over on the first tour pass, then go deeper on the 2nd tour pass (hopefully as a headliner). 

Better still would be to play more well rounded festivals (not just the hard rock circuit) or to open the tour season by playing a first leg of smaller venues (1500ish) filled primarily with fans. 

Just my 2c.  This band is rebuilding. 

Personally I'd like-
1. Smaller intimate venues.
2. 2-2.5hr show showcasing at least 5-7 new ones
3. More deep cuts.
4. LESS DOWNTIME BETWEEN SONGS.  Keep it moving, fellas. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:31:55 PM by Aaron »

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 05:18:55 AM »
Given the tour they are on (generally non-headlining festival dates) I understand where Dean is coming from on this.  As much as I'd like to see STP play a lot of newer material, at most of the festivals STP is signed on for they are by far the LEAST hard rock band of the bunch.  I think the attitude in the band is probably to win the audience over on the first tour pass, then go deeper on the 2nd tour pass (hopefully as a headliner). 

Better still would be to play more well rounded festivals (not just the hard rock circuit) or to open the tour season by playing a first leg of smaller venues (1500ish) filled primarily with fans. 

Just my 2c.  This band is rebuilding. 

Personally I'd like-
1. Smaller intimate venues.
2. 2-2.5hr show showcasing at least 5-7 new ones
3. More deep cuts.
4. LESS DOWNTIME BETWEEN SONGS.  Keep it moving, fellas. 

Aaron, I am going to echo the idea that you explained and add in my personal opinion to it.

I stumbled upon STP in 98-99...I was 13...my dad gave me a boxed cd from one of those cd clubs that came in the mail....I opened it up...some crazy lady standing in water with goat legs and a shower cap...the rest was history. But as a diehard, other than the no.4 era...I didnt get to see the apex of commercial success for the band in early and mid 90's....my peers listened to korn, limp bizkit, slipknot, etc,

So for me, with all that Eric, Dean, and Robert have been through....I root for their success...they deserve it. And of course, hit songs and making more money isn't what its all about, I get that....but if this band has another few chapters in their career to add to the legacy...I want them to get as much support as possible. And IMO, I want to see them take this spring/early summer tour of festivals to play the hits, cause that "oh man, I know that song" and "Dude, I know like 10 songs from these guys" can really help with their success going forward. I want them take this tour to tap into the the younger demographic that havent connected with them yet.

If Jeff is really the guy for the long haul, as mentioned in another part of the forum, we might be seeing a new STP cd every 2 years for awhile. So there should be plenty of time for us to hear deeper cuts and new songs when they decide to go on their own tour and play more intimate venues.

We need to keep in mind, there are three parts to this party. The band, the diehards, and the casuals/newbies. Let the band get in rhythm and take care of the newbies, and they will surely reward us diehards in time.

Ok, Ill put my soap box away now, sorry :)