May 16, 2024, 11:05:58 PM

Author Topic: Blast from the past - Interview with Dean Deleo discussing ‘Self Titled’ (2010)  (Read 1070 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I don’t remember seeing this interview back when the album was released. Dean discusses recording the album separately and how him and Scott chose the artwork amongst other things. It’s interesting to watch now. When the interviewer mentions that Eric had said the band was in the best place they’ve been Dean seems reluctant to agree. As we know now that certainly wasn’t the case.

https://youtu.be/pzO5FOVnoXU
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Well hey, “self titled”(2010) seems like it might not be their worst album in short time... “self titled”(2018) could have something to say...

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
We know the album was recorded in  separate studios, with the vocals being recorded in one place and instruments another.

But the knowledge we completely lack is the dynamics of the recording. And I'm not talking about no sound waves.

How much "hey, Dean and I are recording some guitar parts at my house, do you want to come by and throw some ideas around?" or "why don't you come down to Lavish and help with the chords to this melody I've got kicking around in my head" went on during the recording?

We know Don Was made them get together to play the stuff in a live setting, but how much was written that way?

Is there anyone in particular we can blame for a lack of trying, (lookin' at you, Kretz.... ;) ) or was it just a bad effort all around? Fragile relationships, trying not to step on toes, etc.

It's still a good album, but sad and drunk Scott really isn't the lyricist that dope & coke Scott is. Was.
Bleeda blooda