May 16, 2024, 10:31:09 PM

Author Topic: 2 years since self titled already...  (Read 12905 times)

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: 2 years since self titled already...
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 07:58:03 PM »
I wasn't too crazy about "Take A Load Off" as a single and as a song in general.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »
I love Between The Lines, don't get how anybody here is hating on it.  Classic STP, fantastic melody and the verses have vintage Scott random crazy lyrics (Penguins don't fly, crocodiles sometimes smile).  I prefer it as a song to Days of the Week and Down (love both of those two though), their previous two lead singles for albums.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
I like the album as a whole.  I played it front to back many times since then.   I think that some of the songs are not as strong as earlier albums, but are still good songs.  Still love Hickory Dichotomy, Fast As I Can, Peacoat, and Maver. 

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
I think they are all good songs, but I think when you put them all together, and factor in the production, the whole package is not as strong as previous albums.

Never heard an STP track I didn't like though.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
Wow.  All kinds of opinions being thrown around here.

Not sure why there's still a tendency to compare what STP is doing to what Pearl Jam or Chris Cornell are doing.  All 3 are still putting out good music.

Between the Lines has a lot going for it, but in order for it to have been truly classic STP the chorus would've needed to have been better.  A chorus should up the momentum of the song.  BTL keeps it going, but doesn't take the song to the next level.

The album was never destined to be a hit.  The music scene has changed.  Most STP fans are between 30-40 years old now.  We're working our way out of the demographic everything is geared towards.  It's sad but true.

Unless they put out something beyond belief, their time in the sun putting out hit records is done.  They need to make music for themselves and tour and they'll be fine.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »
I must say BTL has one of the best Dean deleo solos ever. it was actually my favorite solo on the self titled album, right next to the intro solo on Huckleberry (7 seconds in) i can never get tired of hearing that little lick.

And as far as the most weakest sngles go in stps career, id have to say Days of the week obviously didnt really get anywhere but i still love the song. actually my least favorite single would have to be Down, it just doesnt grab me as much as the others for some reason.

and im sure stp will continue to have 'hits' maybe not number 1 but stp always puts out at least 1 huge hit on an album. That band will always adapt to the times. thats why they will be around forever, their music is timeless.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 10:15:06 PM »
Maybe STP need to refresh their drive as a band. Alot of bands need to do it, actually.

Instead of putting out one album every 2 or 3 years, maybe they could do something like a 5 or 6 song disc every 6 months or so. That way it would show the progression of ideas better, without so much time between, and it's not as much pressure as with longer releases.

Green Day are supposed to be putting out a 3-part album over the course of the year (unless that idea has changed now). If they are 3 full length discs, however, people will be pretty damn sick of Green Day.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:17:02 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 05:56:08 AM »
Maybe STP need to refresh their drive as a band. Alot of bands need to do it, actually.

Instead of putting out one album every 2 or 3 years, maybe they could do something like a 5 or 6 song disc every 6 months or so. That way it would show the progression of ideas better, without so much time between, and it's not as much pressure as with longer releases.

Green Day are supposed to be putting out a 3-part album over the course of the year (unless that idea has changed now). If they are 3 full length discs, however, people will be pretty damn sick of Green Day.

Yeah man, EPs are never a bad idea, although STP seems very idealistic about things like that. No EPs. No covers on their full lengths. Although I applaud the discipline, I also think it wouldn't hurt to give their fans some treats now and again.

I also agree, Down is another single of theirs that doesn't really do it for me.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »
I

I believe this will be one of the newer trends in the coming years.  Not necessarily from STP but from artists that aren't Top 40 material.  I heard the concept about a year ago from an interview that (believe it or not) Tommy Lee did and he hinted at the concept of the trend and it makes total sense to me.  Labels/Artists don't have to put too much $$ into it.  Artists don't have some much pressure to put out a hit full length album to stay alive.  Artists can take more time to focus on really perfecting a few new songs instead of trying to crank out 12-14 that they can't spend as much time on.  It buys into music sales nowadays that go by mostly singles not full albums.  Also allows to extend touring when you just swap in a couple new songs into the set, not worry about incorporating a whole album.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
2 years????????   Seriously .. damn, I really like the disc, have to buy another physical copy as my original copy is pretty roughed up

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 01:37:12 PM »
As much as it sucks that Scott is still sad, it made for a very inspired album that you wouldn't hear from the likes of Eddie Vedder or Chris Cornell since they are well adjusted and happy now.

I'm not sure exactly what you're implying, but just because an album has sad subject matter doesn't mean it's more inspired than a happy sounding album. I thought Pearl Jam's Backspacer was awesome, despite what many people think.

I love Backspacer too, but I think STP's self-titled is better.  I'm just of the opinion that musicians who are dealing with loneliness, depression, anger etc. tend to make the best most inspired music.  Scott even admitted in an interview back in 2008 that he makes his best music when he's unhappy.  For Scott's sake though I hope he finds happiness.

Backspacer was PJ's best effort in over ten years. I prefer it over the new STP album by far, but you really can't compare the two since STP was their comeback album, and PJ has been going strong for years.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »
Not sure why there's still a tendency to compare what STP is doing to what Pearl Jam or Chris Cornell are doing.

Yet, they will complain when the media puts out a blurb on STP and *GASPS* compares them to PJ, Nirvana, etc. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »

Backspacer was PJ's best effort in over ten years. I prefer it over the new STP album by far, but you really can't compare the two since STP was their comeback album, and PJ has been going strong for years.

What did you think of the Avocado album?

Personally I was really impressed with both that and Backspacer. After the slightly disappointing (but still good) Riot Act, I thought it was great they came back with 2 really strong albums, both of which are quite different to each other, especially after they have been going for 20 years non stop. I can't think of many bands that can still write so strongly after 20 years together.

Severed Hand is one of my favourite Pearl Jam tracks

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 01:58:22 PM »
I feel like its is blatantly obvious that STP did not record this album together.  It feels slightly uninspired.  It lacked that certain edge that all of the other STP albums have, you know that want foot dangling off the cliff kind of edge.  In my opinion I feel it is STP's weakest album.  After releasing a very inspired, expansive, and creative album like SLDD where I felt like they really pushed the boundaries creatively, self titled seemed like an album where they played it safe.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinion those are just my thoughts.  I wish they would get back into it just for the sake of the music again, but unfortunately I think they and are more worried about cashing in then satisfying their musical souls and ironically enough I think this is their downfall as it tends to alienate their hard core base of fans.   

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »

What did you think of the Avocado album?

Personally I was really impressed with both that and Backspacer. After the slightly disappointing (but still good) Riot Act, I thought it was great they came back with 2 really strong albums, both of which are quite different to each other, especially after they have been going for 20 years non stop. I can't think of many bands that can still write so strongly after 20 years together.

Severed Hand is one of my favourite Pearl Jam tracks

I would rank their albums from the 2000s in this order
Backspacer
Binaural
s/t
Riot Act

Off the s/t album, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Come Back. I think the song has a cool 1950s vibe too it. I also like Inside Job, Comatose, and Marker in the Sand. I thought it was a much better album than Riot Act, which was hit (Love Boat Captain, Green Disease, Thumbing My Way)  and miss (BU$HLEAGER).