May 16, 2024, 05:56:31 PM

Author Topic: Did Robert and Dean do well at producing?  (Read 5363 times)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Did Robert and Dean do well at producing?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 09:16:36 PM »
I don't know how anybody can say that Robert Deleo is not on the top tier of talent in the music world and keep a straight face. Robert Deleo IS a guy like Vedder, Weiland and Cornell.

He has played an incalculably large part in STP's success, and is at least as important to the band's success as Scott Weiland. Anybody who says otherwise simply has no idea what they are bleating about.

Wow you think R Deleo contribution to STP is equal to S Weiland.  Tell me what stuff you're smoking so I can get some.  Not saying it's not signifcant, but cannot agree.  Not even in the same ballpark for me.

Keep in mind that in STP and VR, Scott is writing a melody and lyrics to an existing piece of music. He likely does a lot of that with Grean as well, and he had a lot of collaboration on 12BB too.

So the music for Plush came first, then the lyrics and melody. Same with Interstate Love Song, and a wealth of other hits and great pieces of music.

Most people identify with a singer first and foremost because they understand vocals and lyrics--they can sing along. It's harder to have an appreciation for the guitar work or a bass line if you don't really have experience with it. Still, the fact that A) it's a completed piece of music that people like, and B) the music inspired Scott to do his thing, then yes--one could argue that Robert's contributions equal that of Scott's.

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »
I don't know how anybody can say that Robert Deleo is not on the top tier of talent in the music world and keep a straight face. Robert Deleo IS a guy like Vedder, Weiland and Cornell.

He has played an incalculably large part in STP's success, and is at least as important to the band's success as Scott Weiland. Anybody who says otherwise simply has no idea what they are bleating about.

Wow you think R Deleo contribution to STP is equal to S Weiland.  Tell me what stuff you're smoking so I can get some.  Not saying it's not signifcant, but cannot agree.  Not even in the same ballpark for me.

Keep in mind that in STP and VR, Scott is writing a melody and lyrics to an existing piece of music. He likely does a lot of that with Grean as well, and he had a lot of collaboration on 12BB too.

So the music for Plush came first, then the lyrics and melody. Same with Interstate Love Song, and a wealth of other hits and great pieces of music.

Most people identify with a singer first and foremost because they understand vocals and lyrics--they can sing along. It's harder to have an appreciation for the guitar work or a bass line if you don't really have experience with it. Still, the fact that A) it's a completed piece of music that people like, and B) the music inspired Scott to do his thing, then yes--one could argue that Robert's contributions equal that of Scott's.

Actually, Robert wrote the melody for ILS and perhaps other STP songs as well:

On our first tour, we had an RV and a truck. Sometimes I'd ride in the back of the truck with my cheap nylon-string acoustic guitar. That's where the song originated.Interstate Love Songoriginally had a bossa nova beat. I wrote the chords, and then wrote the melody and I showed it to Scott.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12059150/1/stone-temple-pilots-rob-deleo-talks-high-rise.html

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »

I suppose you can argue but Robert is not credited on every song.  Scott is.  He's credited on every song.  Also his live performances, the guy was untouchable for the better part of two decades.       

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »
I suppose you can argue but Robert is not credited on every song.  Scott is.  He's credited on every song.  Also his live performances, the guy was untouchable for the better part of two decades.       

Mick Jagger is credited on almost every Stones track but that doesn't alter the fact that Charlie Watts is the most important part of their sound (and the best musician).

No question, SW elevates average material (Contraband for example) and makes good songs even better. He's a genius in the studio, there's no-one even close imo.

Live? I'd say it was always inconsistent and oftentimes ill-judged in presentation. The highs were incredible but calling him untouchable over 20 yrs is a bit daft imo.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 12:06:29 AM »

On our first tour, we had an RV and a truck. Sometimes I'd ride in the back of the truck with my cheap nylon-string acoustic guitar. That's where the song originated.Interstate Love Songoriginally had a bossa nova beat. I wrote the chords, and then wrote the melody and I showed it to Scott.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12059150/1/stone-temple-pilots-rob-deleo-talks-high-rise.html

Yes, I remember that tidbit. I also remember a few years ago when the bros. talked about how they'd often come up with a melody but Scott usually comes in with something totally off the wall and better.

I think it's safe to assume based on them saying it a few times that the bros. hand over some melodies. Sometimes they get used. Often they don't.

My guess is that Robert wrote the basic melody we hear the slide guitar play in the intro over the chorus chords. It's basically the chorus melody, but it's altered a bit, especially by syllables, in the vocals.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 12:42:44 AM »

Yes, I remember that tidbit. I also remember a few years ago when the bros. talked about how they'd often come up with a melody but Scott usually comes in with something totally off the wall and better.

I think it's safe to assume based on them saying it a few times that the bros. hand over some melodies. Sometimes they get used. Often they don't.

My guess is that Robert wrote the basic melody we hear the slide guitar play in the intro over the chorus chords. It's basically the chorus melody, but it's altered a bit, especially by syllables, in the vocals.

I remember reading an article when Purple was released and Robert said that he showed Scott the chords and Scott immediately began humming the melody. It's hard to tell if maybe after the breakup, the DeLeos are dropping tidbits of info, like who really wrote what, to subtly discredit Scott or if they did actually write the melodies, but wanted to portray Scott as the guy who wrote all of the lyrics and melodies. I'd like to think it's the latter, but Scott has pissed them off so you never know.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »

I remember reading an article when Purple was released and Robert said that he showed Scott the chords and Scott immediately began humming the melody. It's hard to tell if maybe after the breakup, the DeLeos are dropping tidbits of info, like who really wrote what, to subtly discredit Scott or if they did actually write the melodies, but wanted to portray Scott as the guy who wrote all of the lyrics and melodies. I'd like to think it's the latter, but Scott has pissed them off so you never know.

When I read Robert talking about this it felt he was trying to discredit Scott or give himself more credit on ILS.  Sorta like Lennon/McCartney when Paul switched it up.  Subtle but it's there.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 01:26:17 AM »
STP will always have the core following. And i know thier songs have reached #1on the rock charts. But thats mostly just airplay. In order for STP to get back to the top, their music is gonna have to grow some balls. Its not the production thats bad, its the style of rock music. kick off single from the last two albums had crunchy guitar riffs but were too happy go lucky. They need some heavy dark melodic riffs to catch peoples attention again imo. That shit needs to hit hard like Down, even though i was an above average heavy rock song. It needs to be that style. I guess im still waiting for Core 2.0, which grabbed me attention immediatly

Toxic34

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »
Well, obviously, you can also tell that STP's sales were affected by the changing trends in the music industry, as in the buying of rock radio stations by corporate conglomerates like Clear Channel, what became the most popular genre of music, and the rise of iTunes, YouTube and so on, so that many preferred to get their music digitally rather than go to the record stores.