May 17, 2024, 03:45:48 PM

Author Topic: Regarding Pitchfork's review of Tiny Music  (Read 12071 times)

OnlyDying73

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Regarding Pitchfork's review of Tiny Music
« on: May 30, 2010, 08:01:32 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/200111262102 ... usic.shtml

sounds more like a rant on Scott Wieland's drug use as to an actual review. Did they really rip off The Rolling Stones? Or is it Pitchfork being dickheads as usual?
Bad Religion - 10/18/10

AFH

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stonedatpompeii/
Re: Regarding Pitchfork's review of Tiny Music
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:08:49 PM »
This review is an example of constructive criticism  ???

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »
Quote from: "OnlyDying73"
http://web.archive.org/web/20011126210250/pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/stone-temple-pilots/tiny-music.shtml

sounds more like a rant on Scott Wieland's drug use as to an actual review. Did they really rip off The Rolling Stones? Or is it Pitchfork being dickheads as usual?

This review is totally off course.  And I don't think that it should qualify as an official review of the album.  That being said, Scott likes the Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger so "Big Bang Baby" does bare a resemblance to "Jumpin' Jack Flash".  

However, the term ripped off is thrown around way too loosely in the music industry.  If a song has a similar riff like another (i.e. "Sex Type Thing" and 'Snakes of Christ" by Danzig) or if a line of lyrics is similar does not necessarily mean a rip off.  Because chances are that the riff or line of lyrics could of been repeated or altered many times before the so-called original.

Now Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" could be considered a rip off to "Under Pressure" by Queen because a first time listener will already really relate to the music on a first time listen.  Although the songs are both great, Vanilla Ice insists that his music is original which tells me that it he does not even have the cajunas to admit they are similar.
Guaranteed Scott would tell you that he modeled "BBB" after a Stones' classic.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

OnlyDying73

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:44:40 PM »
Quote from: "DeadAndNotForSale"
http://web.archive.org/web/20011126210250/pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/stone-temple-pilots/tiny-music.shtml

This review is totally off course.  And I don't think that it should qualify as an official review of the album.  That being said, Scott likes the Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger so "Big Bang Baby" does bare a resemblance to "Jumpin' Jack Flash".  

However, the term ripped off is thrown around way too loosely in the music industry.  If a song has a similar riff like another (i.e. "Sex Type Thing" and 'Snakes of Christ" by Danzig) or if a line of lyrics is similar does not necessarily mean a rip off.  Because chances are that the riff or line of lyrics could of been repeated or altered many times before the so-called original.

Now Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" could be considered a rip off to "Under Pressure" by Queen because a first time listener will already really relate to the music on a first time listen.  Although the songs are both great, Vanilla Ice insists that his music is original which tells me that it he does not even have the cajunas to admit they are similar.
I completely agree with you. Your words reflect my own opinion on this. I feel that Pitchfork throws around the term rip off too much.
Bad Religion - 10/18/10

purplestpgirl

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 05:26:41 PM »
Quote from: "DeadAndNotForSale"

I completely agree with you. Your words reflect my own opinion on this. I feel that Pitchfork throws around the term rip off too much.
exactly. no one wants to give them credit for anything.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »
I vaguely remember a bunch of us sending hate mail to that douche reviewer.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
Its seemed back at that times STPs music wasnt as much critiqued as was Scott Weiland.

And the only part that really sounds like that Rolling Stones tune is the line "organe crush mama its laugh laugh laugh"  which is sung similiarly to the line "jumpin jack flash is a gas gas gas" and thus the song was dubbed but some smarties as a Rolling Stones rip-off.

Almost the same way some have dubbeb BTL and rip off of Stat Away by Nirvana for that whole 15secs that the songs sound similiar.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 02:16:57 AM »
<!-- m -->http://web.archive.org/web/200111262102 ... usic.shtml<!-- m -->

That's a pretty low extent to go and then label it a "review"...what's that say about you, Ryan?
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 07:08:33 AM »
<!-- m -->http://web.archive.org/web/200111262102 ... usic.shtml<!-- m -->

I thought it was generally accepted that Pitchfork is ridiculous.
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »
Now Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" could be considered a rip off to "Under Pressure" by Queen because a first time listener will already really relate to the music on a first time listen.  Although the songs are both great, Vanilla Ice insists that his music is original which tells me that it he does not even have the cajunas to admit they are similar.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Ice Ice Baby has an extra note and a clap. TOTALLY different. ;)
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »
They did give 12 Bar Blues a solid review (I find it odd that the STP and SW review have been removed from their site.......did they worry about losing their indie cred?) :)

http://web.archive.org/web/19990427232146/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

timryanokane

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »
True story:  I remember reading that review when it was first published and literally making a point to line my cat's litter box with it.

bluesuedeiztrad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 04:14:24 AM »
Let's face the fact of the matter - Pitchfork only serves to the indie elite. They take any chance they can to discredit bands like STP, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. The Arcade Fire just delivered their weakest album yet, and it received nothing but praise. Tiny Music is an amazing album and had never received the recognition it deserves.

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »

OnlyDying73

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »
I always thought this was really funny:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pitchfork-gives-music-68,2278/
Let's face the fact of the matter - Pitchfork only serves to the indie elite. They take any chance they can to discredit bands like STP, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. The Arcade Fire just delivered their weakest album yet, and it received nothing but praise. Tiny Music is an amazing album and had never received the recognition it deserves.
i loved the suburbs...if thts their weakest album then the other 2 should blow my mind =D
Bad Religion - 10/18/10