May 21, 2024, 03:53:56 AM

Author Topic: Barbarella  (Read 4100 times)

!

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Barbarella
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »
This is something I've wondered about for years, and am surprised I've never seen any mention of it. Back around January or February of '96 there was a little blurb about Tiny Music, right before it came out. Two of the track titles that were mentioned were "Tumble in the Rough" & "Barbarella". By the time the album came out, I figured this mysterious "Barbarella" track had its name changed to "Daisy" or "Lady Picture Show" or any one of the other songs. Two years later, the SW version of "Barbarella" comes out on 12BB.

Given that I'd heard this info within 1-2 months of Tiny Music's release, in hindsight it seems like this never-before-heard STP version of the song was removed from the album at the last minute? No idea why.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Barbarella
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »
i dont know the answer to your question but your username made me smile haha
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:04:54 PM »
Robert probably didn't like the "can't you see it's a disease" lyric so the song was cut.

I would love to hear a version of Barbarella with Dean, Robert & Eric playing the instrumentals. Not that I don't love the version on 12 Bar Blues, but I think Dean could come up with an awesome solo for it.

IT'S TOO BAD THE ARTICLES LIBRARY IS GONE NOW OTHERWISE YOU'D BE ABLE TO PROBABLY FIND THE ARTICLE YOU WERE THINKING OF. *cough*
Bleeda blooda

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »
Well, didn't Weiland "borrow" the idea for Barbarella from Julian Sakata in like '96? So the song would've been written after Tiny Music came out unless it was a totally different song.

!

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »
I remember it just being some little blurb, not so much a full-blown interview/article. However the information may have been pulled from this one: http://www.belowempty.com/articles.php?p=1996&s=story&id=133

"RIP: Do you have any official song titles you can tell me?
SW: One song that I wrote with Robert yesterday is called 'Tumble in the Rough." And there's another [Unfortunately, the rest of this interview is missing -BE]"

The article is from Jan '96 and then it cuts off exactly where it was likely mentioned. Up until March, the only two track titles I knew of were "Tumble in the Rough" & "Barbarella". Eventually "Big Bang Baby" was released as a single, and so I knew of a third title at that point. I remember all of this well because I was in 9th grade at that point, so I'm not exactly misremembering all of this.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
I remember reading a rumor that Robert co-wrote Barbarella, but I think that was a result of the 12BB booklet only saying "Copyright Controlled" as the writing credits for the song.

It was later determined that Scott & Tony Castaneda (Scott's brother in law from this first marriage) wrote the song.

It's possible STP may have recorded a early verison during the TM sessions, but we'll probably never know for sure.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:27:13 PM by Five Star Edge »
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »
I 'member hearing that too
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Mister Saint Laurent

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • M.SL
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 04:10:44 AM »
definitely my favorite song on 12BB. would love to hear an STP version. when the band broke up, i really hoped all sorts of stuff would be released from the vaults, but it never really happened.

maybe if we get anniversary editions of the early albums one day some cool stuff could show up as bonus tracks.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:57:27 PM »
I remember it just being some little blurb, not so much a full-blown interview/article. However the information may have been pulled from this one: http://www.belowempty.com/articles.php?p=1996&s=story&id=133

"RIP: Do you have any official song titles you can tell me?
SW: One song that I wrote with Robert yesterday is called 'Tumble in the Rough." And there's another [Unfortunately, the rest of this interview is missing -BE]"

The article is from Jan '96 and then it cuts off exactly where it was likely mentioned. Up until March, the only two track titles I knew of were "Tumble in the Rough" & "Barbarella". Eventually "Big Bang Baby" was released as a single, and so I knew of a third title at that point. I remember all of this well because I was in 9th grade at that point, so I'm not exactly misremembering all of this.

I know this is kind of late, but that second song mentioned is definitely Barbarella. I would love to know if there's a STP version on a shelf somewhere.

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/506785/stone-temple-pilot-flying-without-a-net/

Now also here: http://www.belowempty.com/articles.php?p=1996&s=story&id=317
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:01:43 PM by Rik »

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 10:12:03 PM »
I asked Victor Indrizzo about Barbarella being initially intended for Tiny Music a few years ago, but he didn't know.

I also asked him about the song's similarities to Moth:

Me: Here's the song called Moth that was written by James Heimbauch with his band Miss Galaxie (later changed its name to Big Blue Missile). He says it was written long before Barbarella and Scott even joined them on stage to sing this song live in 1995. It is very similar to Barbarella. What do you think?

Victor Indrizzo: To me Barbarella is closer to Bowie than that. And I know Scott had written the song long before the record I think somewhere in 94-95.
Knowing Scott at that time he was constantly writing so I don't think he would have lifted anything.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland