June 16, 2024, 08:12:48 AM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots vs Scott Weiland court case discussion topic  (Read 12304 times)

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Weiland interview - ultimateguitar.com
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 03:58:09 PM »
If Dean calls up Scott and says "Hey, wanna make a million dollars?" again, I wouldn't rule anything out. But now that they've already reunited once, I doubt that figure will be the same as it was in 2008.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

CoreurpletinyNo4ShangriY

• I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES! I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES!
  • Pilot
  • I know the questions but I lost the answers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »
It's their job. Of course money is a determining factor for both parties. Scott seems to be doing pretty well now however with a bunch of tours over the past 2 years, playing festivals this year, and recording an album for Art of Anarchy. I mean, as long as he doesn't blow all of his money I think he should be somewhat fine.
STP Shows: 9/5/10 - 7/26/11 - 8/6/11 - 9/10/11 - 8/24/12
STP with Chester: 9/6/13 - 4/25/15
Weiland Shows: 11/28/12 - 3/12/13 - 8/14/13 - 9/14/14
- 3/10/15 - 11/28/15

kravdog

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
It's their job. Of course money is a determining factor for both parties. Scott seems to be doing pretty well now however with a bunch of tours over the past 2 years, playing festivals this year, and recording an album for Art of Anarchy. I mean, as long as he doesn't blow all of his money I think he should be somewhat fine.

That and they all have ex-wives... Probably helps Scott to not have Doug on the take anymore.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 04:51:45 PM »

I've always respected how he doesn't trash anyone or act like big cry baby. 

With everyone (especially Dean) taking shots at Scott over the years, it's always been impressive to see Scott being the bigger man. 

I'd still love to know the specifics of the STP lawsuit (although, it could involve a confidentiality agreement).

Go here: http://www.lacourt.org/casesummary/ui/

Enter case number BC510040

It was dismissed with prejudice in November. I believe that means that the case is closed forever (but I'm not too familiar with the American legal system.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 05:07:25 PM »
I think that is right. It says it was requested by the attorney for the Plaintiff (Dean, Rob & Eric). So what probably happened is that they reached an out of court settlement, and the case was then dismissed with prejudice with regard to that settlement, meaning they can't take it back to court. It's done once and for all.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:12:28 PM by Pingfah »

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 05:35:30 PM »
I wonder what the settlement was and who paid off who?  I'm guessing they bought Scott out.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 10:38:07 PM »
Looks to me like Scott paid out. The settlement was issued by his lawyers, after several attempts to extend a hearing on a motion for summary judgement issued by the plaintiff.

I'm guessing Scott paid small compensation to STP for the legal fees, but also gave agreement to cease use of the STP brand and attempts to block the use of the STP property.

As far as Scott's comments about the band, I'm glad he's not bitter. It truly seems that he's happier outside STP. I just wish we'd gotten to this point earlier.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:08:10 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 03:26:58 AM »

It was dismissed with prejudice in November. I believe that means that the case is closed forever (but I'm not too familiar with the American legal system.

Awesome, thanks!

Looks to me like Scott paid out. The settlement was issued by his lawyers, after several attempts to extend a hearing on a motion for summary judgement issued by the plaintiff.

I'm guessing Scott paid small compensation to STP for the legal fees, but also gave agreement to cease use of the STP brand and attempts to block the use of the STP property.

As far as Scott's comments about the band, I'm glad he's not bitter. It truly seems that he's happier outside STP. I just wish we'd gotten to this point earlier.

Where did you see specifics involving the STP name or property? Going through the website/case, it seems like there were a few separate rulings throughout the case... but I didn't really see much in the way of specifics when it came to the STP name, songs, property, etc. Not sure if I missed it or what.  Also it seemed like Scott's attorneys had more stipulations, but with all the other rulings and other stipulations, I have no clue what was included at that point.

Obviously, I've been a bit more outspoken on this debate, so I'm kinda curious as to the specifics of how it played out. Doubt I'd like the outcome, but this whole thing is still pretty interesting.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 04:03:41 AM »
I'm sure they'll all laugh about this time in their career when they reunite in 2040.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 04:39:27 AM »

Awesome, thanks!

Where did you see specifics involving the STP name or property? Going through the website/case, it seems like there were a few separate rulings throughout the case... but I didn't really see much in the way of specifics when it came to the STP name, songs, property, etc. Not sure if I missed it or what.  Also it seemed like Scott's attorneys had more stipulations, but with all the other rulings and other stipulations, I have no clue what was included at that point.

Obviously, I've been a bit more outspoken on this debate, so I'm kinda curious as to the specifics of how it played out. Doubt I'd like the outcome, but this whole thing is still pretty interesting.

Unfortunately, as I said, that's just my guess. I'd like to know the specifics, too.

But at the same time the Deloes are dropping the 'featuring Chester Bennington' from STPs upcoming shows, and Scott hasn't done anything with the STP name since the settlement. So regardless of who paid whom, it would seem part of the settlement would be Scott's agreement not to use the name, especially considering that was the what kicked off the lawsuit.

But there could still be a whole lot we don't know. I mean obviously with a settlement there must be concessions for both sides.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 05:50:25 AM »
Unfortunately, as I said, that's just my guess. I'd like to know the specifics, too.

But at the same time the Deloes are dropping the 'featuring Chester Bennington' from STPs upcoming shows, and Scott hasn't done anything with the STP name since the settlement. So regardless of who paid whom, it would seem part of the settlement would be Scott's agreement not to use the name, especially considering that was the what kicked off the lawsuit.

But there could still be a whole lot we don't know. I mean obviously with a settlement there must be concessions for both sides.

Yeah, aside from my personal objections to this whole mess, it seems like it would be pretty straight forward...  The DeLeos/Eric retain the STP brand for future endeavors, while Scott has access to their joint STP library of songs (and royalties), but probably restricted to the whole marketing angle (which is where I'm guessing the stipulations came into play).

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 11:18:24 AM »
Royalties and access to songs have nothing to do with this. Scott is entitled to songwriters royalties regardless. The same goes for the songs, there is no legal mechanism to prevent him, or anybody else from performing STP songs. He doesn't need permission, and no lawsuit can take away his royalties, except one that proves he didn't really write them, which obviously he did.

This was all about the brand, who controls it, who can use it.

My personal total guess is that they asked for a crazy amount in their lawsuit to scare him into ducking out of his 1/4 share of the brand. He took a small settlement and agreed to leave rather than risk continuing the lawsuit and losing, which he may well have done. The band never really wanted a massive payout from him, not least because he couldn't pay it anyway, they just wanted the brand and they clearly got it.

What is really interesting now is that with Scott out of the STP partnership, if they wanted to get back together they'd have to either hire him, or make a new contract. It makes it more difficult anyway, as before they could just reconvene under their original agreement, now that doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:25:04 AM by Pingfah »

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 04:58:02 PM »
Royalties and access to songs have nothing to do with this. Scott is entitled to songwriters royalties regardless. The same goes for the songs, there is no legal mechanism to prevent him, or anybody else from performing STP songs. He doesn't need permission, and no lawsuit can take away his royalties, except one that proves he didn't really write them, which obviously he did.

This was all about the brand, who controls it, who can use it.

My personal total guess is that they asked for a crazy amount in their lawsuit to scare him into ducking out of his 1/4 share of the brand. He took a small settlement and agreed to leave rather than risk continuing the lawsuit and losing, which he may well have done. The band never really wanted a massive payout from him, not least because he couldn't pay it anyway, they just wanted the brand and they clearly got it.

What is really interesting now is that with Scott out of the STP partnership, if they wanted to get back together they'd have to either hire him, or make a new contract. It makes it more difficult anyway, as before they could just reconvene under their original agreement, now that doesn't exist.

This seems the most likely and predicted by most of us.  They pay off Scott and STP is now the property of the instrumentalists.  Sigh.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »

This doesn't sound too good... especially for the sake of any future reunion. Maybe a one off show/tour, but I can't imagine a new contract or partnership after this.

This seems the most likely and predicted by most of us.  They pay off Scott and STP is now the property of the instrumentalists.  Sigh.

Personally, I'm not thrilled about this scenario either, but you're right everyone saw it playing out this way. It's a shame seeing them fight over something that doesn't exist.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 05:16:20 PM »
They pay off Scott and STP is now the property of the instrumentalists.  Sigh.
Oh. Of course Scott should have pay off the songwriters so STP would be the property of the guy who writes and sings over existing songs  ::)
I can only imagine the horror of The Wildabouts under STP moniker. lol. No matter what you think about CheSTP, but Stone Wild Pilots would be the worst band ever.

I'm glad that STP is in the safe arms now.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland