June 16, 2024, 07:54:59 PM

Author Topic: Question About The Way She Moves  (Read 2387 times)

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Question About The Way She Moves
« on: April 04, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »
Forgive me if this has been discussed already.  But I know that years ago when we heard about a handful of STP unreleased songs, "The Way She Moves" was mentioned among them.  In fact, I believe all of those songs leaked in 2004 with the exception of this song.  But recently, Weiland, in an interview, mentioned The Way She Moves being inspired by his current wife.  But that song was supposedly written/recorded back in 1999 for the Number 4 sessions (I thought).  So is the Way She Moves from Blaster a completely different song than the STP one from years ago?  Or is his memory poor?  Or is he just lying?

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Question About The Way She Moves
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:11:14 PM »
Its most likely a totally different song just with the same title.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:25:22 PM »
We don't know for sure. The lyrics are definitely new:

1) As you mentioned, according to Scott, the song was inspired by his new wife.
2) The song is going to appear on Dario Argento's movie "The Sandman" and you can hear a reference to Sandman in the lyrics, so it looks like he partially wrote the song FOR this upcoming film.

I believe Scott specifically said that it's not the same song once, but who knows, maybe it is partially based on that outtake and he just doesn't want any other people to take credit for it.
We'll never know, until we'll hear the track recorded by STP.

Also, can anyone post the music credits from the "Blaster" booklet? I wonder if Doug is credited for any song. If he's not, I think it is a total lie.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
We don't know for sure. The lyrics are definitely new:

1) As you mentioned, according to Scott, the song was inspired by his new wife.
2) The song is going to appear on Dario Argento's movie "The Sandman" and you can hear a reference to Sandman in the lyrics, so it looks like he partially wrote the song FOR this upcoming film.

I believe Scott specifically said that it's not the same song once, but who knows, maybe it is partially based on that outtake and he just doesn't want any other people to take credit for it.
We'll never know, until we'll hear the track recorded by STP.

Also, can anyone post the music credits from the "Blaster" booklet? I wonder if Doug is credited for any song. If he's not, I think it is a total lie.

He's not and I doubt it's a total lie. Doug has a pretty distinct style and nothing on Blaster suggests that he had anything to do with the album.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 07:38:34 PM »
The reason I said that is that Doug was involved in recording the album for a pretty long time before he left the band. I highly doubt Scott and the band just scrapped everything that was written/recorded up until that point. He is not playing on the album, bur there's got to be something written by him. Love him or hate him, but Doug was his songwriting partner and Doug's input was as big as Scott's at times.
Can we really find

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 12:46:57 AM »
Its most likely a totally different song just with the same title.
This is almost certainly true, as STP has done the same thing. Having made a song called "Fast As I Can" in their Mighty Joe Young days, and naming a completely different song just that on their Self Titled record nearly 20 years later.

sharky

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 02:19:26 AM »
When I saw them last May in Monroe, LA Scott made it a point to mention that TWSM is "absolutely not" the same as the STP one that was never released.

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 03:55:51 AM »
Cool! Thanks for the responses, all! :)

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 04:07:03 AM »
The reason I said that is that Doug was involved in recording the album for a pretty long time before he left the band. I highly doubt Scott and the band just scrapped everything that was written/recorded up until that point. He is not playing on the album, bur there's got to be something written by him. Love him or hate him, but Doug was his songwriting partner and Doug's input was as big as Scott's at times.
I believe you are mistaken

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 09:19:26 AM »
How come you guys don't have the booklet?

Grean isn't mentioned anywhere in it. Not even thanked.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
How come you guys don't have the booklet?

Grean isn't mentioned anywhere in it. Not even thanked.
I live far far away, so I don't have a physical copy of the album. Currently not feeling like I want one anyway, but I definitely would like to check out the booklet to see who is credited there and to read some of the lyrics.
Can we really find

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »
Modzilla - Weiland/Brown/Black
WSM - Weiland/Brown/Black/Thompson
Hotel Rio - Weiland/Brown/Black/Thompson
Amethyst- Weiland/Brown/Mike Avenaim/Black
White Lightning -Weiland/Brown/Black/Thompson
Blue Eyes - Weiland/Iha/Brown/Black
Bleed Out - Weiland/Brown/Black/Thompson
Youth Quake - Weiland/Brown/Black
Beach Pop - Weiland/Brown/Black/Thompson
Parachute - Weiland/Brown/Black/Thompson
Circles - Weiland/Brown/Black/Thompson

I have no trouble at all believing Grean's influence is completely gone from this album. Scott already mentioned most of the tracks originated from Jeremy's riffs, and it very much sounds like the work of somebody with more focus than Grean.

Plus, it isn't uncommon to start an album writing phase from scratch.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:37:40 AM by Pingfah »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 10:23:47 AM »
It might also interest to know that Mike Avenaim played drums on Amethyst, Modzilla, Blue Eyes & Youthquake.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 08:35:09 AM »
Anybody remember when Doug got the boot?

I feel like he was a part of the band when Circles was performed for the first time live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r60n2ugoEpw

A lot of wankery going on there, though you don't actually see Doug in the video. But Jeremy is still standing to Scott's right side.

As to the question about Way She Moves being the STP song, I doubt it's only the same in title, since that song Circles is a brand new song and not a re-tread of that Wondergirls song....
Bleeda blooda

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »
It might also interest to know that Mike Avenaim played drums on Amethyst, Modzilla, Blue Eyes & Youthquake.

No coincidence those are three of the best songs on the album (Amethyst, Blue Eyes, Modzilla)