June 16, 2024, 01:55:07 AM

Author Topic: Scott/Chris/Chester connection  (Read 3291 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott/Chris/Chester connection
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »
That's fair. A lot of musicians have their demons but if they're a good artist it still gets highlighted. I just feel the mainstream media only wants to focus on scotts demons, not any of the great art that he created. That's just the base of my frustration. The general media never wanted to say anything positive with his name in the same breath.
You're totally right.  Its hard to find an article, even before Scott's death, that doesnt mention his drug history.  Unfortunately, to the media its never JUST about the music. 

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 07:15:43 PM »
I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time.  Scott burned some bridges, sometimes with the audiences that showed up and paid money in advance to see him.  Scott the musician is ultimately judged on his body of work, which is of course very impressive.  Scott the man made many mistakes and that will always be a debatable point with many.  If you love the man or the music, cherish that.  Don't worry about the rest of it, because its just noise.

That's fair. A lot of musicians have their demons but if they're a good artist it still gets highlighted. I just feel the mainstream media only wants to focus on scotts demons, not any of the great art that he created. That's just the base of my frustration. The general media never wanted to say anything positive with his name in the same breath.

I think the problem for Scott was that he ALWAYS had a scandal... The critical reaction to Core, Scott's arrest after Purple, Tiny Music's tour cancellation, STP's semi-breakup during 12BB, Scott going to jail during the release of No. 4, STP breaking up after SLDD, VR's breakup after Libertad, Scott's increasingly erratic behavior on and off stage through the whole reunion, STP's break-up and lawsuit, the whole Art of Anarchy thing, then Jeremy's death the day before the release of Blaster, and then finally Scott's own death on the subsequent tour.

When you think about it, you realize Scott never went a couple albums without public drama of some sort. I think that's why the public could never separate his work from his scandals, because his scandals were always present.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 04:14:51 AM »
I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time.  Scott burned some bridges, sometimes with the audiences that showed up and paid money in advance to see him.  Scott the musician is ultimately judged on his body of work, which is of course very impressive.  Scott the man made many mistakes and that will always be a debatable point with many.  If you love the man or the music, cherish that.  Don't worry about the rest of it, because its just noise.

I think the problem for Scott was that he ALWAYS had a scandal... The critical reaction to Core, Scott's arrest after Purple, Tiny Music's tour cancellation, STP's semi-breakup during 12BB, Scott going to jail during the release of No. 4, STP breaking up after SLDD, VR's breakup after Libertad, Scott's increasingly erratic behavior on and off stage through the whole reunion, STP's break-up and lawsuit, the whole Art of Anarchy thing, then Jeremy's death the day before the release of Blaster, and then finally Scott's own death on the subsequent tour.

When you think about it, you realize Scott never went a couple albums without public drama of some sort. I think that's why the public could never separate his work from his scandals, because his scandals were always present.

Fair points for sure. I guess the timing of scotts troubles were never going to help with the medias perception of him... I guess that's just how it goes. I just would like his art to be given a lot more credit, but it never will and that's a bummer for someone as talented as he was. Love the dudes work.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »

Fair points for sure. I guess the timing of scotts troubles were never going to help with the medias perception of him... I guess that's just how it goes. I just would like his art to be given a lot more credit, but it never will and that's a bummer for someone as talented as he was. Love the dudes work.

STP sold nearly 40 million albums worldwide.  They got their due.  Even with Scott Weiland completely fucking up most of the time.  They got credit for what they did.

Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
I think the retrospective reception of STPs music is very good. These days most critics will admit they were wrong about the band back in the day. Core to Tiny Music are now considered some of the best rock music of the 90s, critically speaking.