June 17, 2024, 04:59:29 PM

Author Topic: Sin Unplugged - mystery solved  (Read 4466 times)

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Sin Unplugged - mystery solved
« on: October 05, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »
It was mentioned on the Matt Pinfield podcast that Robert has Sin from MTV Unplugged and wanted to put it on the box set, but that it was unusable because Dean's guitar was really out of tune and the song sounded bad because of it. I think they should have still put it on!

Really fun interview overall where they also play audio of Robert in a band from 1982 playing Tom Sawyer by Rush as well as a recording of Dead and Bloated where the chorus of what would later become Down used to be part of that song. Loved this interview!

https://audioboom.com/posts/6363195-148-stone-temple-pilots-robert-and-dean-deleo-on-how-mighty-joe-young-became-stp-the-25th-anniversary-edition-of-core-and-the-loss-of-chester-bennington-and-scott-weiland

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:54:37 PM by kretzl »

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Sin Unplugged - mystery solved
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 10:44:43 PM »
Interesting as this board concluded that it wasn't played that night.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:33 AM »

Not so much this board, as someone who spoke to one of the Tubbs brothers. So I guess they were wrong.

Really wanne check out the interview, but the player widget is absolutely horrendous.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 12:40:37 AM »
If you wanna hear the Rush clip go between the E and M in the world 'Temple' on the widget player.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 12:59:05 AM »
I also sort of recall that Sin unplugged was sort of a myth. I guess I'm glad to see this is incorrect. However, sounding good or sounding bad, it's obvious this box set was aimed at the hardcore fan, which is all the reason to include it.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 01:36:47 AM »

Not so much this board, as someone who spoke to one of the Tubbs brothers. So I guess they were wrong.

Really wanne check out the interview, but the player widget is absolutely horrendous.

The interview is also available on apple podcasts
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 03:13:31 AM »

Yes, most of us on here concluded it wasn't played after seeing that information.

It's a weird situation. So for a TV taping Dean played the song on an out of tune guitar and no one seemed to notice? Not enough to say "Hey we should play that again with in tune guitars", but afterwards, they decided that it so out of tune that they couldn't release it?

As loungefly90 said, this is the sort of thing we would love to hear. It could have potentially been the most sought after part of the re-release.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 04:33:55 AM »
It's a weird situation. So for a TV taping Dean played the song on an out of tune guitar and no one seemed to notice? Not enough to say "Hey we should play that again with in tune guitars", but afterwards, they decided that it so out of tune that they couldn't release it?

Rumor has it, right before the take, Dean said to the show's producers, "We'll do it live... WE'LL DO IT LIVE! FUCK IT! DO IT LIVE... look, I'll write it and we'll do it live! Fucking thing SUCKS!"

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:48 PM »

Rumor has it, right before the take, Dean said to the show's producers, "We'll do it live... WE'LL DO IT LIVE! FUCK IT! DO IT LIVE... look, I'll write it and we'll do it live! Fucking thing SUCKS!"

Lmfao!!! My bass player and I have shared this little inside joke for a long time. Nobody else ever seems to get it. You do apparently.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
It was Tyrant who spoke to the Tubbs brothers, or at least who obtained the information.

Perhaps whoever he spoke to lied, as it seems unlikely they would forget playing a horribly out of tune version of Sin that ended up being scrubbed.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »

Lmfao!!! My bass player and I have shared this little inside joke for a long time. Nobody else ever seems to get it. You do apparently.

For those out of the loop:  https://youtu.be/Qy-Y3HJNU_s?t=54

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 12:43:48 AM »
Sounds like what the situation was was that they had a limited amount of time to record, and since Dean's guitar was a twelve string (and harder to retune than a six string) they didn't have time to retune it AND replay the song, so the just played the song out of tune and didn't realize how bad it sounded until after filming.

Of course, the smart thing to do would have been to pick up his 6 string Yamaha he used on Big Empty and play Sin on that while the 12 string was being retuned. But maybe they were too nervous to think of that.

Another possibility; Dean made recent comments that imply that he thought the show was being broadcast live (it wasn't). So maybe they just honestly didn't know they could take another swing at it... or maybe the schedule really did only let them play each song once.

Perhaps whoever he spoke to lied, as it seems unlikely they would forget playing a horribly out of tune version of Sin that ended up being scrubbed.

Doubt they lied about it. It's not their band, it's not their song, and it's a one off show they played a quarter century ago. It is entirely possible they completely forgot they played it since they never saw a recording of it afterward.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:48:13 AM by Blue »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 01:53:44 AM »
Here's the direct quotes from the interview transcribed:

Rob: I couldn't find all of the songs [from Unplugged]... There were... What songs were missing?

Dean: Sin. And it was because, we have it, but the guitar was so out of tune, man. I can't believe we just didn't stop, man, "Can I just tune real quick? I mean we're taping it, right?" But it was unusable, the guitar was just so out of tune. And I was playing a 12 string that was built by the guy we were..." (interviewers phone interrupts them)

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 05:06:40 AM »
Dont care how of tune it was. If they played it, and it is in fact taped, we might as well have it!
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 09:31:30 AM »

Doubt they lied about it. It's not their band, it's not their song, and it's a one off show they played a quarter century ago. It is entirely possible they completely forgot they played it since they never saw a recording of it afterward.

I didn't mean the Tubbs brothers lied, I meant that maybe he didn't speak directly to the Tubbs brothers.