June 16, 2024, 11:42:18 AM

Author Topic: I Met Mark Tremonti Last Night  (Read 2026 times)

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I Met Mark Tremonti Last Night
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »
So first off, I probably have to start this story by defending Creed. I was in middle school during their heyday in the early 2000s, and was absolutely obsessed with the band and have always defended them to the many haters I've encountered over the years. As I've gotten older, I get it - Scott Stapp could be a total douche sometimes and is definitely not the most likable rock star on the planet. But whatever, they will always have a nostalgic element for me and one thing that will never change is my opinion of Mark Tremonti. Say what you want about Creed, but he is undoubtedly one of the best guitar players of the last 20 years, and his work in Alter Bridge and with his own solo project (simply called Tremonti) is just light years beyond what he did with Creed from a technical standpoint.

So now that that introduction is out of the way, I was able to meet Mark at a random meet and greet at Sam Ash Music Store in Manhattan yesterday. It was completely spontaneous, I found out about the meet and greet scrolling through Instagram on my way home on the train and realized, "holy shit, this place is right next to Penn Station, and I can easily get there by 7 PM before the event ends!"

So before you know it, I'm in line to meet Mark and get my picture taken with him at the music store only about an hour after I found out the meet and greet was going on. I was pretty nervous initially, but was still able to speak coherently enough to say that I had been a huge fan of his work throughout his entire career and that it was a dream come true to meet him. He was so friendly too, and could tell that I was a really big fan that couldn't be happier to meet him. He really took the time to speak to everyone who met him, as opposed to just quickly taking a picture and moving on to the next person. I was also able to get a signed promotional picture of him too, which was a nice touch.

An even better touch was that because the line to meet him was pretty short, me and some other big fans stayed behind to see if he would hang around once the line had dissipated. So sure enough, it was 6:30 and he still had another 30 minutes of "meet and greet" time so we watched in awe as he browsed some of the guitars on display and proceeded to take one off the wall and fiddle around with it before joking that he couldn't buy it because he didn't have any more room for guitars.

Before he left he shook everyone's hand again and I was able to thank him again for the opportunity to meet him. All in all it was just an amazing experience - I've met a decent number of famous athletes in my day, but besides getting a picture with Richard Patrick after a Filter show, I've never really met a famous musician and for me, Mark Tremonti is one my all-time musical heroes. Just simply something I will never, ever forget.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
Re: I Met Mark Tremonti Last Night
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
I basically read the first sentence of this piece and thought I had written it. During the time of Limp Bizkit, Korn, and the Deftones, Creed became a really terrific alternative and I felt like I had discovered music all over again. I enjoyed the harder groups that I mentioned, but Creed fit right in the middle and was a great progression from the Seattle grunge rock that felt like it was basically ending. Back then, I almost felt like Creed then was what Nickelback is today: bad press, being booed off stage, and the butt of countless jokes, but also being really popular at the same time. However, I still felt like the only fan in the world. Mix Creed in with Days of the New and I felt good about where rock music was heading.

The fact of the matter is that Tremonti is an excellent guitarist (way underrated) and Stapp wrote some excellent lyrics and melodies, and I will take it one step further: I find it a bit crappy that people immediately turned them off due to their outspoken religious beliefs. At least, people in my close circle had no issue verbalizing that to me. I think POD may also fall into this category (another great band).

Overall, I found that Creed in general was sending a pretty positive message and then was backing it up with skilled musicians and some pretty deep lyrics. I'm unsure if people were just overly obsessed with Korn at the time, but I never felt Creed got the praise they deserved. I much preferred them to the harder groups who seemed to be doing lots of screaming.

It's always great to meet musicians when you're out and about. I've met Chris Hall (Stabbing Westward) at Guitar Center, the singer for Buckcherry at the Laugh Factory, and our very own Scott Weiland at the Craig Kilborn show. Moments like that are life changing without a doubt.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11:30:14 PM »
Tremonti is definitely talented and took Drop D tuning to a different level during his Creed days. 
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:46:24 AM »
Tremonti is definitely talented and took Drop D tuning to a different level during his Creed days. 

Man I loved playing those early Creed songs. "Ode" is still one of the most fun songs to play in Drop D.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 04:39:42 PM »
A lot of 'post-grunge' gets a bad rap, but I'd like to think that there are some talented bands. Music is so subjective, and people are going to have their 'expert' opinions. Hell, as much as we love STP, there are people that are going to say they suck for whatever reason. My point is if you love a band, then fucking LOVE that band no matter what anyone says because nine times out of ten, they have no clue what they are talking about anyway.

With that out of the way, I dug Creed back in the day (My Own Prison is still an amazing album), and I remember you being a big Creed fan. I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet Mark Tremonti and that it was a positive experience. I've hung out with a few bands like Sevendust (twice), Cold, Lacuna Coil, Papa Roach, and Poison (C.C. Deville is a big STP fan in case you didn't know), and while the initial nerves kick in, once you start talking to them, you realize that they are just like you and I.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
A lot of 'post-grunge' gets a bad rap, but I'd like to think that there are some talented bands. Music is so subjective, and people are going to have their 'expert' opinions. Hell, as much as we love STP, there are people that are going to say they suck for whatever reason. My point is if you love a band, then fucking LOVE that band no matter what anyone says because nine times out of ten, they have no clue what they are talking about anyway.

With that out of the way, I dug Creed back in the day (My Own Prison is still an amazing album), and I remember you being a big Creed fan. I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet Mark Tremonti and that it was a positive experience. I've hung out with a few bands like Sevendust (twice), Cold, Lacuna Coil, Papa Roach, and Poison (C.C. Deville is a big STP fan in case you didn't know), and while the initial nerves kick in, once you start talking to them, you realize that they are just like you and I.

Unless, it's Limp Bizkit :P
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »

Unless, it's Limp Bizkit :P

You know you want to get in the pit during Break Stuff. You should try it. Very therapeutic.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
Don't know who was more annoying, Durst or Stapp? Lol

Significant Other is a solid album though, yeah if youre pissed Break Stuff is a great song to vent to.  And Creed had some good tunes but could never get through more than 4 consecutive songs of there's,  it all sounded that same after that.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 07:58:35 PM »
Thanks loungefly611! I know I definitely talked about my love for Creed here before, but it's been years since I last posted about them. Cool that you remember that.

Speaking of Limp Bizkit, and I probably mentioned this here back in 2013, but I saw them 5 years ago at a club show in Baltimore and had a blast. It was totally a guilty pleasure experience I didnt take seriously, but it was still really entertaining and Wes Borland was mesmerizing to see in person.

As a matter of fact, the main Limp Bizkit picture on Wikipedia has been a shot from that very show, and you can see me and my 2 friends in the crowd lol. I would post a marked-up version of the photo pointing us out, but I don't think I can...
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »
If you don't get amped up hearing My Sacrifice, you don't have a soul.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »
Hey man that’s bad ass!

I like creed. I have my phases with some of their work though. In moderation I still like a lot of what they did. That’s really cool you got to chill with such a cool musician like that for an evening.  8)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »
Thanks loungefly611! I know I definitely talked about my love for Creed here before, but it's been years since I last posted about them. Cool that you remember that.

Speaking of Limp Bizkit, and I probably mentioned this here back in 2013, but I saw them 5 years ago at a club show in Baltimore and had a blast. It was totally a guilty pleasure experience I didnt take seriously, but it was still really entertaining and Wes Borland was mesmerizing to see in person.

As a matter of fact, the main Limp Bizkit picture on Wikipedia has been a shot from that very show, and you can see me and my 2 friends in the crowd lol. I would post a marked-up version of the photo pointing us out, but I don't think I can...

Not a problem. That's my photographic memory for you. Hehe. I'm good with recognizing avatars and screen names, and I remember you talking about Creed from back in the day. There is a reason why I've kept the same avatar since 2003.

Limp Bizkit put on a free show in my hometown's annual festival last year. However, a monsoon came through and they had to cut their set to seven songs. But, I wanted to go not just because it was free, but because I never saw them with Wes Borland. He definitely has this aura about him. I've only saw them twice before both in 2003, and one of them was Fred Durst's infamous meltdown during the Summer Sanitarium tour (Which I was front row for and he challenged me to fight him on stage!) LB are what they are. One thing is pretty much guaranteed is that you will have a good time at their live show.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
Congrats on meeting him.  Very cool.