June 16, 2024, 12:45:19 PM

Author Topic: The Smashing Pumpkins - ‘Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1’ (2018)  (Read 1219 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I gave this album a couple of spins tonight. It’s not up there with SP’s 90’s work but I wasn’t expecting it to be. I’d say it’s a step in the right direction though. There’s some good songs on here, the two singles ‘Solara’ and ‘Silvery Sometimes’ are undeniably catchy. The opening track ‘Knights of Malta’ I disliked at first but it’s grown on me and is another one that gets stuck in your head. ‘Travels’ is another highlight on the album. Overall it’s a pretty solid release, 8 tracks, nothing I’m feeling the need to skip, which wasn’t the case for me with ‘Monuments...’ or ‘Zeitgeist’.
Looking forward to more SP releases with James and Jimmy back in the band, you can hear them all over these new tracks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:20:44 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins - ‘Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1’ (2018)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:40:44 AM »
I can't stand Knights of Malta, but I actually think the rest of the album is pretty good.  Would like to see Jimmy uncork a bit more, but his playing is as solid as ever.  Silvery Sometimes is their best work since Machina if you ask me. 

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:47 AM »
Really enjoying "With Sympathy" and "Marchin' On". The former sounds like Machina-era Pumpkins with a modern twist. Hate the mix, though. Jimmy's drum sound is so compressed and sterile sounding that if I didn't know he was back in the band, I wouldn't have even realized that it was him. His drums are usually so distinctive, but this mix took away all of the character of his style. Not as bad as some of Rick Rubin's other productions, but frustrating because a song like "With Sympathy" would sound so much nicer with a better mix.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:20:52 AM »
I can't stand Knights of Malta, but I actually think the rest of the album is pretty good.

The dissonant "whoa-ing" background vocals absolutely kill the song for me.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 02:14:25 AM »
Good album but wish was longer.  Like the album so far.   Today was my first time listening to it.  I assume there will be volume 2 coming.  Seems pretty melow kinda wish it had more rockers on it.  Too bad Darcy was not on it also.  I will give it more spins.  I am sure I am going to love this album.  Just not totally getting it yet.  Travels and Knights of Malta are my favorites so far.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:07:46 AM by rocker rockstar »

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:15:56 AM »
I'm enjoying it, lots of different colors on it. I bought it at midnight off of Amazon.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:46:52 PM »
I can't stand Knights of Malta, but I actually think the rest of the album is pretty good.

The dissonant "whoa-ing" background vocals absolutely kill the song for me.
That's exactly my problem too. I don't mind the verses where that part isn't there, but the whoa'ing is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.