June 16, 2024, 04:08:39 PM

Author Topic: Guitar Riffs  (Read 840 times)

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Guitar Riffs
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:43:44 AM »
So, I'm a beginner guitarist and I thought to revisit STP "Meatplow" thinking since I know a little more now than my first attempt at it a couple of years ago, I finally get it. I find it interesting that I'm now able to pick up and learn quickly, Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit", Green Day "Basket Case". I was surprised though with Soundgarden "Outshined" very powerful songs yet "simplistic" in nature. Before, it just seemed so complex. Now when I say, I can play it, it is slow and sloppy but you can tell what I'm attempting to play.  Anyway, I'm saying all of this cuz before when I used to watch these guitarists, I didn't know anything they were doing, now I can look and at least attempt to copy without confusion and how most famous songs out there are simplisticly awesome.

8) :-*
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
Re: Guitar Riffs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:50:24 AM »
Cool post.  I can definitely appreciate how if you can play guitar that changes your analysis and understanding of what a band or musician is doing in a song. I wish I played guitar at one point in my life, but it's not something I ever pursued basically at all.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 05:07:43 AM »
I don't think it's ever too late to learn. It's an expensive hobby that's for sure lol.

You know what I notice is people wanting to learn to play bass.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:09:31 AM by Westenn »

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 04:23:01 PM »
What I've learned over my years of playing at an amateur level... sometimes the easiest songs are the hardest to play. Because then it's really the small details that make it sound best. Precise exact inflection to provide the proper space within the notes, and tone is such a huge huge part of those easier songs you've mentioned. The way Dean plays Meatplow is positively FILTHY. The notes are easy and it's a relatively straight forward song, but I still can't play it anywhere close to the way he plays it. His fingering style and his tone on that song are just grime.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »
This guy does awesome STP guitar tutorials.  He is really keen on getting those nuanced 'Deleo chords'.  Here is Meatplow:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPqx5w4C1U

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »
What I've learned over my years of playing at an amateur level... sometimes the easiest songs are the hardest to play. Because then it's really the small details that make it sound best. Precise exact inflection to provide the proper space within the notes, and tone is such a huge huge part of those easier songs you've mentioned. The way Dean plays Meatplow is positively FILTHY. The notes are easy and it's a relatively straight forward song, but I still can't play it anywhere close to the way he plays it. His fingering style and his tone on that song are just grime.

I know what you mean because I am learning the simple form of these songs and I'm not proficient in even putting my own spin on it. I had to drop the initial first part of meatplow because I can't transition great yet, but I do agree that every guitarist has there own brand of sound that we could never really replicate.  I still can't get Plush and have been sitting on that song for a year lol.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:12:42 PM »
This guy does awesome STP guitar tutorials.  He is really keen on getting those nuanced 'Deleo chords'.  Here is Meatplow:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPqx5w4C1U

Oh thanks. I'll check it out. I think I have seen it before but I just grabbed the tab from one of those guitar tab sites.