June 15, 2024, 11:49:35 PM

Author Topic: Scott mentioned in newly released RHCP interview from 2000  (Read 4548 times)

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott mentioned in newly released RHCP interview from 2000
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 10:15:19 PM »
Everyone's written questionable lyrics.

Anthony Kiedis is at the highest level of garbage.  Him and Fred Durst are the Kings of shit lyricism.

if you think this is shit, then you must have ridiculously high lyrical standards.

She's got sword in case
Though this is not her lord in case
The one who can't afford to face
Her image is restored to grace
Disappeared
No trace
Musky tears
Suitcase
The down turn brave
Little burncub bearcareless turnip snare
Rampages pitch color pages
Down and out but not in Vegas
Disembarks and disengages
No loft
Sweet pink canary cages plummet pop dewskin fortitude
For the sniffing black noses that snort and allude
To the dangling trinkets that mimic the dirt cough go drink it's
It's for you
Blue battered naval town slip kisses delivered by duck
Muscles and bottlenosed grifters arrive in time to catch the late show
It's a beehive barrel race
A shehive stare and chase wasted feature who tried and failed to reach her
Embossed beneath a box in the closet that's lost
The kind that you find when you mind your own business
Shiv sister to the quickness before it blisters into the new morning milk blanket
Your ilk is funny to the turnstyle touch bunny who's bouquet set a course for bloom without decay
Get you broom and sweep the echoes of yesternights fallen freckles, away

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 11:03:00 PM »
There also was a chapter in that book where he claims he knew at a young age that he had a knack for poetry/lyrics and one of his teachers just loved him and thought he was the greatest from what I can remember.  IMO he's up there with Fred Durst for worst lyrics in any band I can think of:

"WOOMP DUMB DOOMP CAUSE IM A DOUBLE DIPPA"

"DING DING DONG DONG DING DING DONG DONG DING DING"

I mean, yeah those aren't his best lyrics, however if you're gonna judge a lyricist by their worst work, then Scott ranks up there with the worst too.

"Yeah, come on come on now" x 4

"You always were my favorite drug, Even when we used to take drugs"

My guy has you beat by a lot. 

I don't think you wanna go head to head with Kiedis' stupidity.

Dude, Scott killed himself with drugs. Kiedis is alive and well.

Kiedis is a paedophile though sooo...

The dude had sex with a 14 year old TWICE when he was 23! He knew her age the second time too, he’s admitted this in his autobiography. It doesn’t get lower than that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:09:04 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 04:21:04 AM »
There also was a chapter in that book where he claims he knew at a young age that he had a knack for poetry/lyrics and one of his teachers just loved him and thought he was the greatest from what I can remember.  IMO he's up there with Fred Durst for worst lyrics in any band I can think of:

I mean, yeah those aren't his best lyrics, however if you're gonna judge a lyricist by their worst work, then Scott ranks up there with the worst too.

The dude had sex with a 14 year old TWICE when he was 23! He knew her age the second time too, he’s admitted this in his autobiography. It doesn’t get lower than that.

Agreed, Kiedis has done some stupid shit, however holding Scott up on a pedestal like a saint is a waste of time. Anthony was honest in his biography, Scott didn't get into too much in his biography aside from being raped in high school. I'm sure he got up to plenty of terrible shit when he was using too.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 05:15:42 PM »

Agreed, Kiedis has done some stupid shit, however holding Scott up on a pedestal like a saint is a waste of time. Anthony was honest in his biography, Scott didn't get into too much in his biography aside from being raped in high school. I'm sure he got up to plenty of terrible shit when he was using too.

I don’t think anyone was trying to put Scott on a pedestal. Obviously he was no saint and had his flaws, they mainly appeared to stem from his drug use and mental health problems though. I thought he actually was open about this in both his book and in many interviews. As far as I’m concerned though what Kiedis admitted to is not even comparable and is unforgivable behaviour, calling it ‘stupid shit’ is downplaying it somewhat too, it’s child abuse. The fact that he continues to lust after 18 year old girls despite being close to 60 doesn’t exactly help his case either. The guy is a ‘man child’ and just gives off massive creep vibes. With regards to musical ability, I agree that his lyrics, for the most part, are absolute nonsense, it’s not just the odd song either. Also the guy cannot sing to save his life. Comparing his talent to someone like Scott in his prime is ludicrous.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:30:56 PM by CagedTiger »

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »
Remembe when STP opened for RHCP in 2000 and many reviews stated STP blew RHCP out of the water?

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 06:44:03 PM »

I don’t think anyone was trying to put Scott on a pedestal. Obviously he was no saint and had his flaws, they mainly appeared to stem from his drug use and mental health problems though. I thought he actually was open about this in both his book and in many interviews. As far as I’m concerned though what Kiedis admitted to is not even comparable and is unforgivable behaviour, calling it ‘stupid shit’ is downplaying it somewhat too, it’s child abuse. The fact that he continues to lust after 18 year old girls despite being close to 60 doesn’t exactly help his case either. The guy is a ‘man child’ and just gives off massive creep vibes. With regards to musical ability, I agree that his lyrics, for the most part, are absolute nonsense, it’s not just the odd song either. Also the guy cannot sing to save his life. Comparing his talent to someone like Scott in his prime is ludicrous.

Fair points. But I suppose you guys classify Bowie and Zeppelin as creeps who are garbage? What does it say about artists that looked up to Jerry Lee Lewis? What does it say about Scott for idolizing Bowie? You're naive if you think everything you love wasn't at some point touched by someone who has done something terrible.

Coconut started off by saying Anthony is as bad as Fred Durst lyrically, which isn't true. Then he said in a battle of stupid, Scott is morally superior to Anthony based on the limited information we have about their lives.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:12:19 PM by foou33 »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 09:45:17 PM »

Fair points. But I suppose you guys classify Bowie and Zeppelin as creeps who are garbage? What does it say about artists that looked up to Jerry Lee Lewis? What does it say about Scott for idolizing Bowie? You're naive if you think everything you love wasn't at some point touched by someone who has done something terrible.

Coconut started off by saying Anthony is as bad as Fred Durst lyrically, which isn't true. Then he said in a battle of stupid, Scott is morally superior to Anthony based on the limited information we have about their lives.

Just to be clear, I classify any adult who has sexual relations with a minor a creep whether that’s Anthony Kiedis, David Bowie or anyone else. Because someone is musically talented it does not give them a pass to commit child abuse and I have had this argument with people many times regarding Michael Jackson. There is absolutely nothing to suggest Scott Weiland partook in such behaviour though and until there is I will continue to be a fan of not only his music but him as a person. Despite his mistakes and flaws Scott appeared to be a good hearted guy, obviously I didn’t know him but everything I’ve seen and we’ve heard from others points to that being the case. I don’t support him being a junkie but it was his own adult choice and didn’t physically harm anyone else.

I didn’t say Kiedis’ creepy behaviour made his music garbage either. They are obviously two separate things. His behaviour with minors and other women makes him a shitty person who is prepared to put his own sexual desires before anything and everyone else, his lack of musical talent is what makes his music garbage. Unfortunately for Kiedis he scores a home run. Obviously with regards to his music, that is my opinion (although it seems to be shared by many). I agree with Coconuts comparison to Durst, Kiedis isn’t far off. Neither can sing or rap very well but attempt to do both. Kiedis is a better lyricist but there’s not much in it post 2003. I’d say Kiedis’ best work lyrically was on the ‘One Hot Minute’ album on songs like ‘Warped’ where he wrote darker more introspective lyrics. Stuff like ‘Snow’, ‘Hump De Bump’, ‘Dark Nescessities’ etc etc is throwaway trash as far as I’m concerned. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 09:51:31 PM by CagedTiger »

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 11:15:04 PM »
Remembe when STP opened for RHCP in 2000 and many reviews stated STP blew RHCP out of the water?

I was there for one of these and can attest to that.

And I like the Peppers too but STP was a tough act to follow on that tour.

Chili’s always sounded empty to me, live. So when they brought on Josh as a second live guitarist it really improved.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 01:13:58 AM »

I guess I can see where the confusion came in, but I really only meant lyrically.  I wasn't trying to take this into a comparison of them as humans.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 02:03:18 AM »

I guess I can see where the confusion came in, but I really only meant lyrically.  I wasn't trying to take this into a comparison of them as humans.

Well, lyrically I think Fred isn't very good compared to Anthony. Neither of them can really sing at all though. As far as human beings, I don't think Fred has had as many creepy alligations/stories that Anthony has had.

That depends what you wanted to see. If you wanted to see a rock and roll band then STP would have been the bigger highlight no doubt. the chili peppers aren't strictly a rock and roll band, they have a lot of funk elements that STP doesn't, they also improvise a lot at their live shows, so a lot of people leave salty because the songs don't sound exactly the same as they do on the albums. a lot of straight rock fans leave chili peppers shows feeling out of place, like they would at a jazz concert where things are improvised and changed on the spot.

this is a good example of that, john adds a retard to the verse guitar riff that totally changes the song. at the end instead of doing the sweat leaf riff with flea he plays something totally different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj61WT0ibAc

ComicJohnPowers

• Co-Pilot
  • http://www.twitter.com/comicjohnpowers
    • View Profile
    • Creative Professional John Powers
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2020, 02:30:21 PM »
Wow. This thread devolved, then evolved into an interesting conversation.

The Peppers/STP show from that tour is the one I've been looking for ever since. Both sets were damn good. The only thing that musically puts STP above the Peppers is that Keidas and Frusciante can have some very off nights. Some nights the whole band is magic, but some nights those two are just off... Chad and Flea are always on...

If I remember correctly, Fishbone opened that night at Jones Beach, and then STP went on. Everyone in both bands shaved their heads into mohawks, and Scott opened with Crackerman... in a raincoat... in the pouring rain.

I don't (didn't) know either frontman personally, so I cannot speak to their personal lives. I agree that everyone does dumb stuff. I agree that abuse of a minor is a hard line. I agree that it's tough to listen to Michael Jackson without thinking of the terrible things he (most likely) did.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 03:35:36 AM »
Anyone in this thread go to the STP/RHCP 2000 concert? I went to that tour at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, Ca. I remember that show pretty well. I do recall that when RHCP played their big hits, they didn't really move much on the stage while STP/Scott was dancing all over and felt more action packed. Both bands had some cool visualization on the background screen. Also a great concert from STP since they were promoting No.4. Down was definitely one of the highlights of the night! Just an overall rockin' awesome memorable show!!  8) 8) 8)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2020, 04:41:14 AM »
Anyone in this thread go to the STP/RHCP 2000 concert? I went to that tour at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, Ca. I remember that show pretty well. I do recall that when RHCP played their big hits, they didn't really move much on the stage while STP/Scott was dancing all over and felt more action packed. Both bands had some cool visualization on the background screen. Also a great concert from STP since they were promoting No.4. Down was definitely one of the highlights of the night! Just an overall rockin' awesome memorable show!!  8) 8) 8)

This tour was my first STP live experience.
I never caught the Tiny Music Tour, and almost had a chance when they were rumored to open for Kiss in 96.

Anyway, a short opening set for the Peppers but they were outstanding.

I tried catching them as often as I could the next few years. They were killer live in those days.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19