June 17, 2024, 07:02:56 PM

Author Topic: Scott & STP never recorded together after the self titled sessions?  (Read 2779 times)

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Scott & STP never recorded together after the self titled sessions?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
I wonder if it got to Scott's head that when he did Atlanta in one take, he was good enough to just do the others in one take.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 06:34:30 PM »
I went back and listened to the album after this discussion and it does sound like lazy vocals. It's as if he just sang the songs laying down on the couch and once in a while he would sit up on a lazy boy recliner for emphasis. That's a shame, Doug I guess really tried and even Scott pushed him out the door.

The last show I saw STP in the original was Las Vegas 2012? Now I can see why the song Sin was cut down probably because his voice couldn't handle it anymore. 
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 04:13:44 AM »
I feel that whole Scott not being present as a person is the second part of that answer. I mean, the guy was technically in the band but I think it was pretty clear that STP wasn't fueling his fire during the reunion years. He couldn't have made it much clearer that he didn't want to be there. I've said it time and time again that after some point in 2007, Scott never struck me as being the same person again. He headed down a path of no return. Scott made it clear that he needed money and he wasn't stupid. He knew that STP was a big part of the avenue for that to happen.

The Deleos and Kretz on the other hand, while I'm sure they dug the cash cow too; I get the vibe that they viewed the reunion a little differently.

As much as I feel that 2010 ST didn't live up to the original five, I do think it has its moments. If they would have recorded anything beyond that with Scott I sure would give it a chance. I do think those guys still had some great songs in them as a unit, but I think it would have taken Scott to find himself again for us to see that.

You make some excellent points here that I think are really on the $.

And with S/T, exactly, it's not a complete bust by any stretch and there are some magical moments on it. I can't hear Maver without thinking this is the last Scott/STP closer together.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 07:17:03 AM »
You know I don't remember when but around the time of the reunion, the turning point for me really noticing something wrong with Scott's vocals was when he did The Door 5 to 1. I can't remember what show but I think they opened with it or maybe the second song. I just thought of it cuz I was listening to Waiting for the Sun and it has 5 to 1 on it.

It sounded bad and I was shocked cuz that was a "signature" cover. It's why it stays in my head.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:19:40 AM by Westenn »
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »
Long believed his brother dying was the beginning of the end. That's when he relapsed in Velvet Revolver and it was just a slow circling of the drain, at that point. In the last stage, he'd surrounded himself with "yes" people, or people who, at best, weren't going to stand up to what he was doing and, at worst, were part of the problem.

It's almost as if the will to "try" anymore was just slowly sucked out of him and he coasted until the inevitable end. It seems as if he pushed his kids away, his long time friends, he racked up debt/stopped paying his bills, and almost didn't even seem to care he was playing tiny venues that weren't selling out.

And here's the thing--society fails people like him. Yes, we all make individual decisions of which there are consequences. But drugs and alcohol in and of themselves aren't a criminal matter. Addiction is a medical issue. People with really bad habits, which is a larger group, are people who need some sort of help, not a criminal record. The arrests, the making fun of him for being a junkie, all things that, in the future, we will look back on as contributing to the problem and not solving it.