June 16, 2024, 01:11:09 AM

Author Topic: Scott & STP never recorded together after the self titled sessions?  (Read 2752 times)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I've never seen this posted any where, but is it your understanding that Scott never recorded again with STP after the sessions for 2010 self-titled album? This is the impression I'm left with. There would have been time while they were still in the band together, I think they were supposed to do some recording in 2012 but it seems like most of that year was a bust. 
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott & STP never recorded together after the self titled sessions?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 08:10:34 AM »
I wonder if Robert was saying "I would never want to make a record like that again" immediately after the albums' release? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8XNrVmrkkc

ComicJohnPowers

• Co-Pilot
  • http://www.twitter.com/comicjohnpowers
    • View Profile
    • Creative Professional John Powers
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 01:27:19 PM »
Interesting that they may have recorded entire tracks in a different key... that would be pretty cool to hear. I could hear Hickory Dichotomy being adjusted to match the twang of Scott's vocals at that point. I wonder if those sessions or early takes exist anywhere.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 06:27:32 PM »
Yeah that is ambiguous. Did he mean record songs separate or make another album with that type of musical composition? Maybe record in different locations since he discussed how difficult it was to create w/out Scott around and it seems to imply that his entourage was interfering w/ the recordings? I know they were talking about the Core to Purple Tour before Scott stole the idea and went w/ The Wildabouts, so it's hard to say what the intentions were on recording new material. Also, Scott was promoting Galoshes when he reunited w/ STP. He was in essence working two bands.

I know I always over defend Scott on many matters and I can't help that, I love the man but I side w/ Dean over what caused the demise of Scott. He just pushed people out and chose to hang out w/ those that catered to his addictions. In addition to that, Scott's only motivation to get back together w/ STP was money. He stressed so many times how he has to come up w/ alimony month after month. Almost like he took the role of songwriter for hire.
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »
I interpreted Robert's words to mean he wouldn't want to repeat the experience as a whole. Meaning a compound answer. Part of that being the way it was recorded where it wasn't done entirely as a cohesive unit. Their vocalist wasn't present for the process nor was he present as a person in those times. I feel that whole Scott not being present as a person is the second part of that answer. I mean, the guy was technically in the band but I think it was pretty clear that STP wasn't fueling his fire during the reunion years. He couldn't have made it much clearer that he didn't want to be there. I've said it time and time again that after some point in 2007, Scott never struck me as being the same person again. He headed down a path of no return. Scott made it clear that he needed money and he wasn't stupid. He knew that STP was a big part of the avenue for that to happen.

The Deleos and Kretz on the other hand, while I'm sure they dug the cash cow too; I get the vibe that they viewed the reunion a little differently.

As much as I feel that 2010 ST didn't live up to the original five, I do think it has its moments. If they would have recorded anything beyond that with Scott I sure would give it a chance. I do think those guys still had some great songs in them as a unit, but I think it would have taken Scott to find himself again for us to see that.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:04:50 PM by NickLorenza »

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 01:35:35 AM »
I can agree with your points. We seem to agree about the part w/ Scott and in the end he traded his talent for money (ie. book, clothesline, hoping to attach his solo album w/ the STP name)

And while we all do things, yes, for money, I believe that the DeLeos and Kretz really wanted to get back together and make the magic shine. Part of that being Core would have been 20 and most likely the reason I thought the album would be a Core 2.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 05:18:38 AM »
I think S/T was the last time Scott recorded anything with STP.
He did however record his vocals for Art of Anarchy whilst still in STP I THINK. I’m pretty sure it’s been said those vocals were recorded in 2012 or 2013. I’d have to check the Doug live videos again though as I know he mentions it.
These vocals were again recorded separately from the band, just Scott and Doug working on them and then sending them back to the guys in Art of Anarchy. Doug said that the last few years Scott just didn’t enjoy recording anymore though and rather than do multiple takes he would insist on just doing one or two. Then Doug would kind of just have to work the best he could with what he had. This was the same for S/T in 2010.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:20:29 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 05:38:11 AM »
I totally agree. I think the Deleos and Kretz really wanted to pick up where they left off from SLDD and make up for lost time. They wanted a glorious return to form and to build on that legacy. The first year of that reunion tour was pretty successful financially. I don't know that I necessarily expected self titled 2010 to be Core 2.0, simply because this band was always evolving, and covering old ground was never quite their thing.

Side note.... it is of my belief that if we ever were going to get a full record of heavy hard rockers from these guys (a Core 2.0 perhaps) it would have happened in 2003 and that ship sailed due to the breakup. I'll tell you why I believe this. They were still with Atlantic, and major labels were still pushing nu-metal type acts. So the label would have been pushing for a heavier record as heavy is what was selling at the time. Plus, look at "All In The Suit That You Wear". I know the topic in this thread is if Scott recorded with these guys after 2010 ST, but really, what I'd be super interested in hearing is what songs this band would have come up with had they not broken up at the end of 2002.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 06:54:28 AM »
His voice was shot so I can see why he didn't want to record anymore, so sad.

Yeah, didn't they start the Army of Anyone? Didn't they start that shortly after 2002? Would that have been music for Scott should they have not broken up or was it for Patrick I wonder. Seems to be the direction they were heading musically.

See my thing is around 2010-2012 started that whole pop rap, pop rock or whatever horrible music you want to call it. I guess they would have to pull a similar Tiny Music in there which btw, I love that album. To survive they would have to go more mainstream w/ their music so I guess making ST was in line with the music at that time or maybe a more mellow SLDD.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »

Yeah, didn't they start the Army of Anyone? Didn't they start that shortly after 2002? Would that have been music for Scott should they have not broken up or was it for Patrick I wonder. Seems to be the direction they were heading musically.

If I'm not mistaken, AOA, started out of a writing session between the DeLeos and Richard Patrick in 2005.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 05:37:55 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, AOA, started out of a writing session between the DeLeos and Richard Patrick in 2005.

Correct. Richard Patrick recruited them to provide music for the song ‘A Better Place’ which was intended for the next Filter album. Apparently they enjoyed working together and felt they wanted to do a whole album. Also, the song ‘Father Figure’ was written already by Patrick and intended for the next Filter album, that’s why it sounds quite different from the other songs on the AOA album.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 06:19:05 PM »
So they made the music “specific” for Patrick. Yeah so with that, they make music w/ an ebb and flow rather than stick to one formula like some bands, you can guarantee a certain sound. While STP does have sound, I can say it’s a unique one separated by nonconformity to the standards of what is played on the radio. Not that I’m saying they can’t do that because it’s been proven they can.

Back to ST, so if Scott had joined them it would have been obviously the influence of the band and not the influence of Doug editing his vocals for the album. Can we say then, it was the interpretation of Doug who presented it to STP?

Am I making sense here lol. I really should drink my coffee before typing

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 07:44:11 PM »
I think Scott just genuinely lost all interest in working with other people after Velvet Revolver.  That's why he refused to record in the same studio, that's why he put very little effort into the S/T record, And ultimately that's why he never recorded with the band again. STP was just a paycheck that allowed him to pay off some debts and work on his solo stuff.

As far as Doug, I know Doug says he really tried to push Scott to do more in the studio for S/T, but Scott simply refused to do more than a few half-assed takes per song..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 07:49:35 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 01:40:02 AM »
I wonder if Scott was just doing one or two vocal takes for ‘Blaster’?
His voice sounds quite gravelly on that album but I still think it’s a decent performance and I personally love the album. The only song that sounds like it’s heavily edited vocally (almost sounds auto tuned) is ‘Circles’ really.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 03:07:29 PM »
I wonder if Scott was just doing one or two vocal takes for ‘Blaster’?
His voice sounds quite gravelly on that album but I still think it’s a decent performance and I personally love the album. The only song that sounds like it’s heavily edited vocally (almost sounds auto tuned) is ‘Circles’ really.

I believe Doug addressed this in one of his recent videos. In HIS past with Scott, in the early days, Scott would churn out multiple takes. I want to say he spoke specifically of Self-Titled when saying that Scott would record one and a half takes. Not even two takes of each song, and so Doug had to do his best with limited tracks.

In his story, Doug said the Deleos got really mad at him, like "How can you submit this to us?" and Doug said that he couldn't get Scott to sing more takes cuz Scott would record a take or so and be like "Ok, that's done".

For what it's worth though. Scott has always been a singer that layers a lot of vocals. I've always loved that about him. So when he was doing 1-1/2 track per song, it was likely that he was still laying down multiple runs of a song, just different parts for it.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19