April 29, 2024, 11:10:25 AM

Author Topic: Bumblefoot explains how Scott ended up being sued over AOA album (2021)  (Read 1102 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I just randomly stumbled across this article and recent interview with Bumblefoot where he goes into great detail on why they sued Scott back in 2015, shortly before he passed away.

I thought it was an interesting read so thought I’d share here:

https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/how-scott-weiland-ended-up-being-sued-over-his-involvement-with-debut-art-of-anarchy-album/
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Hmmm. His explanation sounded very reasonable and believeable, until the very end of the article when it turned out that Stapp has done almost the same thing to them.
Also, what about this part:

Asked if the legal battle between Weiland and Vice got resolved after the singer's death, Ron said: "We reached out to his estate and said, 'Look, we're, of course, not gonna sue you. If anything, can we at least just collect his share of royalties,' because we did give him a big chunk of money as an upfront advance. And the guys were out that money, plus legal fees, and the name trashed. And it took a long time to get that settled. And it did."

Share of loyalties for what? The album that was released for free? Or did they get a chunk of any royalties his estate was getting to repair their damage?
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bumblefoot explains how Scott ended up being sued over AOA album (2021)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 01:08:30 AM »
Yeah, something about the whole band seems fishy to me with Stapp ending up in legal problems with them too.
Regarding royalties, the album wasn’t released for free initially. I remember buying the CD when it first came out. It was only digitally released for free after Scott passed a few months later.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 05:44:56 PM »
At the time, I guess I was just so hungry for anything Scott Weiland that I remember thinking "this ain't bad". But it doesn't hold up at all, save for a moment here and there.
Sonically, especially, it's really bothersome, especially in comparison to other albums Scott's on.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 06:18:27 AM »
At the time, I guess I was just so hungry for anything Scott Weiland that I remember thinking "this ain't bad". But it doesn't hold up at all, save for a moment here and there.
Sonically, especially, it's really bothersome, especially in comparison to other albums Scott's on.

I’m definitely in the minority of people around here who enjoy the album  ;D
I’m more a fan of the slower moments on the album though, particularly the songs ‘Get On Down’, ‘Til The Dust Is Gone’, ‘Death Of It’, ‘Aqualung’ and ‘Long Ago’. I’ll go a step further and say that I enjoy this album more than Peace and Libertad.  :o