June 16, 2024, 07:43:24 AM

Author Topic: stp maybe to st upp a new record label  (Read 31269 times)

army of ants

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
stp maybe to st upp a new record label
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:50:25 PM »
accordin to kerrang scott weiland has reported that they are writing songs for a new record and that they might create their own record label to bring it out

he said

"its been 5 years we've been part and there is all these young kids who had older brothers who were stp fans,and now they're stp fans,'says weiland."thses kids come up to me all the time and tell me they loved the band they have all of our records".
the goal of this band was to leave a legacy.
"the band have started writing material for their 2001 shangri-la dee da and aim to enter the studio as early as september.weiland says that they might set upp their own record label to release the album.
"the whole record machine is fucked up now,so we really want to get to a place of having some freedom,because we have alot of leverage," sdays weiland.we've sold almost 40 million records,and we're in a postion of power.we want to be free agents,whether its putting out our records out ourselfs or doing some interesting,very creative deal with a non traditional major record label.the system as it is now.......that formula does not work.we've seen it;we'llneed to do things differently,do things wiser".

thats what weiland says,i cant find it on kerrang web site but iff anyone comes across the mag go to page 14,issue no 1206-april 19 2008

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: stp maybe to st upp a new record label
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »
Not to poo poo this potential, great news, but isn't what Army of Anyone did kind of a new solution for releasing a record? It didn't quite work. I know it was not as good as an STP album, but it was still a pretty good band that didn't do very well commercially.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:59:33 PM »
It's still about promotion.

People don't buy things they don't know about.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »
Yeah but this is STP we're talking about here.  Even if AoA got promotion, it wouldn't have helped because the album wasn't that good.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 09:14:27 PM »
Yeah I hope what ever decision they decide to do works for them and the fans...I hope the album does awesome and debuts at  #1 but since the music industry is shit these days who knows. I know Im going to buy the album when it comes out. I buy bands albums that I support and deserve my money for their musical talents...STP is at the top of that list
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
STP v NIN
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 04:59:08 AM »
Would be great for the guys in STP to take some notes from Trent Reznor and NIN.  Check out NIN.com and see what he's doing for his harcore fans for his recently anounced summer tour.  I know STP is starting up and have alot going on and although I think they always are trying to do what's best for their fans, they could be more on the mark.  They always seem to be a step behind all the other bands as it relates to their fans.  Hopefully, an STP rep will be taking good notes. 

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP v NIN
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 01:20:18 AM »
What NIN is doing is what every band that seriously cares about their true fans best interests should be doing. The two most important things to a fan is getting to see the band live and buying the band's music. Unfortunately, you're ripped in both cases. There is no need for a middle man when it comes to selling tickets (and one can now argue there is no need for a music label either...at least for an established band). If a ticket is listed as $50, why is the actual cost more like $70 or even more (40% increase)? How much of that is the venue and the band actually getting? Any band with competent management should be able to sell tickets directly to the fans through the internet (similar to what NIN is doing for their presales). There are pros and cons to any method, but the good outweighs the bad in the way NIN is doing it.

Anyway, I think STP should take a look at what bands like NIN are doing. I know, I know, it's a lot of work and STP (the band members) aren't exactly technologically savvy. In that case, they should look for management that cares about the fans and not maximizing their own (management) profits. I don't know who manages NIN, but maybe they should check with them. But the worst thing with this upcoming tour is that at these seated venues, you're most likely going to have to get a fan club membership ($45) and fork over $200 to sit near the front (not to mention the ticketmaster fees) with the VIP ticket, which unbelievably (for such a price) doesn't include a meet & greet. How fair is that to 90% of the fans, the ones that aren't rich?

Anyway, there's this talk of STP releasing the music differently this time, but I'm skeptical about this. STP doesn't seem to be the kind of band that, other than the music itself, goes about things in a new or revolutionary way. There more like a band from the '70s. Everything is kept low and mysterious, but at the same time there's never any (at least not positive) surprises. They're reluctant to release anything besides the albums themselves. To the modern rock fan this looks like they're doing it "by the book", they go through the regular motions. I guess my point is STP isn't a cutting-edge band when it comes to the business side of things.

And yes, I AM a fan that owns all their albums and going to the show in Wallingford, CT. I can hope things will change in this aspect of STP.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 07:22:33 AM »
Quote from: "Slim Jim"
But the worst thing with this upcoming tour is that at these seated venues, you're most likely going to have to get a fan club membership ($45) and fork over $200 to sit near the front (not to mention the ticketmaster fees) with the VIP ticket, which unbelievably (for such a price) doesn't include a meet & greet. How fair is that to 90% of the fans, the ones that aren't rich?

Yah this is exactly what happened to me...I didn't feel like paying for a membership. The only way I would have if it included a meet and great, bc that would be worth it in my eyes. But I took a chance for the cleveland show and got mezzanine which is like the front of the balcony but I mean Im still pumped for the show I just obviosly wish I was closer to the band. Especially in that kind of environment in a theatre
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 12:16:10 PM »
What is NIN doing exactly? When you say they are selling tickets directly to fans, does that mean the fans are avoiding the ticketbastard charges?
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:18:38 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
What is NIN doing exactly? When you say they are selling tickets directly to fans, does that mean the fans are avoiding the ticketbastard charges?

From what I read on their site yesterday (the post seems to have been moved now), it seems like they're allowing non-fan club members access to pre-sale tickets by simply creating a free account on NIN.com. Also, the scalpers and all those middle-men are removed by matching the tickets to a specific person and then having you present a photo ID at the venue (similar to the way airline tickets work). I'm not sure whether ticketbastard is involved in this or not. I looked on ticketmaster.com and there's NIN dates on there, so unfortunately ticketbastard is still probably going to get it's 40% cut. I think most venues have a contract with ticketmaster that their tickets must be sold through them. That's why Pearl Jam basically couldn't play anywhere during their ticketmaster boycott.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:23:07 PM by Slim Jim »
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
Right on. Hope it works out.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »
Out of curiosity, do we have any other big NIN fans on here? 

I find myself like Trent more and more as I grow older.  The Fragile is one of my top 5 albums of all time, and I really love Year Zero as well.  For those that dont know yet, you can download their new single for free on www.nin.com. I can't wait for the actual album. 

Trent is becoming a pioneer on ticket sales and album download/sales.  I would love to see STP adopt this strategy.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 05:23:55 PM »
I'm a casual NIN fan. I have With Teeth and Year Zero, along with other random tracks from Pretty Hate Machine and whatnot. Year Zero is really growing on me too.

I did want to check out the Ghosts material though.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
I'm a casual NIN fan. I have With Teeth and Year Zero, along with other random tracks from Pretty Hate Machine and whatnot. Year Zero is really growing on me too.

I did want to check out the Ghosts material though.

Ghosts is good, but I need words. 

Trent is such a good lyricist its a shame having an instrumental record. 

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 05:26:01 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
Ghosts is good, but I need words. 

Trent is such a good lyricist its a shame having an instrumental record. 

I like instrumentals though. My interest in the material peaked when I heard it.