June 16, 2024, 07:20:58 PM

Author Topic: Rage Against The Machine  (Read 5353 times)

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Rage Against The Machine
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 01:37:57 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Quote from: "Slither"
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
I've always wanted to see them. They came around a few years ago with Queen of a Stone Age, but tickets were ridiculous. Their self-titled was such a landmark album in the rap-rock genre. Not too many bands could replicate what they created.
Agreed. I love that album. Evil Empire is awesome too. Any other Rage fans find Battle of LA just "eh"?? I've never been a huge fan of that album although Testify is one of my favorite Rage songs

Wouldnt dream of it....testify's great but personally i also thought battle of la was their most inspired album. Maybe im in the minority here but i thought they threw out all the stops for that one...calm like a bomb, guerilla radio, and sleep now in the fire are probably my 3 favorite rage songs. the video for sleep now in the fire was the most inspiring ive ever seen. thought that exemplified exactly what rock music was supposed to be about. of course its not actually part of the album but worth mentioning. maria and new millennium heroes are also killer tracks....

Sleep Now In The Fire ROCKS. I love that track! I also really dig Born of a Broken Man. Anyone notice that the beginning riff is VERY similar to Army Ants? The only album I never got into was Evil Empire.
Yeah, Sleep Now In The Fire is definitely a fuckin awesome song. Ever paid attention to the lyrics and what they really mean? Crazy shit. And yeah, I have noticed that Broken Man/Army Ants similarity before...funny lol. I dunno I don't DISLIKE Battle of LA by any means, I just don't think when it comes to the actual music and riffs and everything, Battle of LA overall isn't as intense as the other two albums. Some songs seem to run on without any distinct personality and at times Tom Morello (who is one of my favorite guitarists) goes a little overboard with the effects in my opinion.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 08:54:24 PM »
Quote from: "Slither"
I've always wanted to see them. They came around a few years ago with Queen of a Stone Age, but tickets were ridiculous. Their self-titled was such a landmark album in the rap-rock genre. Not too many bands could replicate what they created.
Agreed. I love that album. Evil Empire is awesome too. Any other Rage fans find Battle of LA just "eh"?? I've never been a huge fan of that album although Testify is one of my favorite Rage songs

Wouldnt dream of it....testify's great but personally i also thought battle of la was their most inspired album. Maybe im in the minority here but i thought they threw out all the stops for that one...calm like a bomb, guerilla radio, and sleep now in the fire are probably my 3 favorite rage songs. the video for sleep now in the fire was the most inspiring ive ever seen. thought that exemplified exactly what rock music was supposed to be about. of course its not actually part of the album but worth mentioning. maria and new millennium heroes are also killer tracks....

Sleep Now In The Fire ROCKS. I love that track! I also really dig Born of a Broken Man. Anyone notice that the beginning riff is VERY similar to Army Ants? The only album I never got into was Evil Empire.
Yeah, Sleep Now In The Fire is definitely a fuckin awesome song. Ever paid attention to the lyrics and what they really mean? Crazy shit. And yeah, I have noticed that Broken Man/Army Ants similarity before...funny lol. I dunno I don't DISLIKE Battle of LA by any means, I just don't think when it comes to the actual music and riffs and everything, Battle of LA overall isn't as intense as the other two albums. Some songs seem to run on without any distinct personality and at times Tom Morello (who is one of my favorite guitarists) goes a little overboard with the effects in my opinion.

Totally agree with that statement.

"Battle of Los Angeles" was the first Rage record I ever picked up and before hearing the other albums, I thought it was amazing. However, when I did get around to listening to the other records I noticed how much more I enjoyed them than BOLA. I still love BOLA, but IMO I don't think it compares to their first record.

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 04:45:18 PM »
Quote from: "foou33"
apparently the band knew they'd get cut and hired their own camera crew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUPYIShaX1s

Damn this is an awesome performance........Morello is on fire with that guitar.......downloading the HD version right now.......holy crazyness.

hawk.
ps.Did they only jam killing

jackworx

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
While I'd be happy to see them live, I wish they'd record a new album.

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »
They put on a great show. Saw them at Battle of the Bells in 07 or 08 (I can't remember which year.) Would definitely love to hear some new stuff.
--Rob--

Rust

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 04:41:18 PM »
Rage @ Finsbury Park, London, this Sunday, I'll be there and it was princely sum of £0

Its gonna be awesome!

DumbLove

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 05:20:37 PM »
Huge Rage fan also - they put on one of the best live shows you'll ever see.  Not sure what's going on with them currently, but I'd recommend checking out their recent side projects - "One Day As A Lion" for De La Rocha and "Street Sweeper Social Club" for Morello.  Both solid albums, but of course nothing lives up to the original grouping.

randallanddarcy

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 01:10:51 AM »
I taped the Dublin RATM show last Tuesday. It was an amazing room, an amazing performance, and amazing sound. They were better this time than the 1996 show I saw.
STP: August 21 and 23 2001. June 14 and 16 2010.
VR: Jan 2005, June 2005, March 2008.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 03:49:23 AM »
Tom Morello Solo album info:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/tom-morellos-new-sound-very-hard-and-very-funky-20141002
That's honestly a long time coming. The Nightwatchmen stuff of his definitely has its own niche in acoustic, spoken word, political type stuff but I've been waiting for a straight forward rock guitar outing for a decade+.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 05:14:44 AM »
Same here. I'm anxious to hear what he does with a "Very hard and funky" sound.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy